Ideal Mash Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downhillfromhere

Reaction score
I'm working out the recipe for a Pale Ale I'm brewing tomorrow and trying to figure out where I want to mash at for it to get where I want it to be. I'm basically trying to get the overall body and hop character of an IPA in a Pale Ale sized package.

Should I mash 154-156 to try to get more body out of it to give a bigger base for the hops, or mash at 152 if there's enough body in the Grain Bill already?
The wierd numbers are because I had it in as a 3 gallon batch, and this matches my percentages.

Batch Size : 4 Gallons
90 minute Boil
7.7SRM
55 IBU
Est OG 1.052
Wyeast 1056
Mash 152 or 154-156?

Grain Bill

6.4lbs Marris Otter
0.8lbs Munich 10L
0.4lbs Crystal 40L
0.4lbs CaraPils

Its all your preference, but I like my pale ales a bit drier so I mash at 149. You'll get more body out of it w/ a higher mash temps for sure, but the only way to know if you like it or not is to make one, and taste it. we all have different taste buds.. :)

I agree with Pompeii. It really is your preference but I've noticed that if I mash a little lower (around 148F) the hops really shine in my IPA compared to a higher mash temperature.

I mash my IPAs at 150-152, depending on the results I want. You're already going to have a malty IPA with that grain bill. That's what? already over 10% crystal? And then Munich malt and maris otter? I'd mash that at no higher than 150, just to get some hops into the flavor. You're going to have a "thick" IPA otherwise.

Why are you doing a 90 minute boil? I'd boil 60 minutes for that.

I just brewed a Lagunitas IPA clone. On Can You Brew It, the brewer said that Lagunitas mashes at 160F and, when Jamil cloned their IPA, he said it worked. My own clone came out really close to the original, so I've been on a high temp. kick for the last little while.

There is no ideal mash temp for everyone. You just have to learn and play with the mechanics of mashing and choose which you prefer for the style.

I agree with Yooper. No higher than 150 unless I was really looking to instill significant body in the beer.

I get 81% attenuation with 1lb of sugar and a 151 mash temp using 1272 in my IPA. But I say lower is better in hoppy beers. You'll be wasting hops that are needed to balance out the malts instead of being the diva in the beer that they should be

I just brewed a Lagunitas IPA clone. On Can You Brew It, the brewer said that Lagunitas mashes at 160F and, when Jamil cloned their IPA, he said it worked. My own clone came out really close to the original, so I've been on a high temp. kick for the last little while.

Revival of an old thread!

What the what? Really? 160? I am trying to aim at a Lagunitas inspired APA and I thought the lower mash temps was the key.

Can anyone further verify 160? Or can anyone explain 160?

I'm working out the recipe for a Pale Ale I'm brewing tomorrow and trying to figure out where I want to mash at for it to get where I want it to be. I'm basically trying to get the overall body and hop character of an IPA in a Pale Ale sized package.

Should I mash 154-156 to try to get more body out of it to give a bigger base for the hops, or mash at 152 if there's enough body in the Grain Bill already?
The wierd numbers are because I had it in as a 3 gallon batch, and this matches my percentages.

Batch Size : 4 Gallons
90 minute Boil
7.7SRM
55 IBU
Est OG 1.052
Wyeast 1056
Mash 152 or 154-156?

Grain Bill

6.4lbs Marris Otter
0.8lbs Munich 10L
0.4lbs Crystal 40L
0.4lbs CaraPils

You're not going to see enough difference between 152-154 to worry about.

Latest posts

Back