DFH Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzermann

Reaction score
Ok, I am ready to tackle another batch of brew and would like any input as to be successful in completing this.

Brew: Dogfish Head Clone

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.1 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

8 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) DME 88.89 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.5 IBU

0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 12.2 IBU

0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

I am thinking about using Liquid Malt Extract instead of Dry. The kicker here is getting a 3g boil going in a 5g pot. I can do it but need to be right on top of this at all times.

I am thinking I can add half of the LME at first then the rest 30 minutes left in the boil?

I am going to pick up the supplies on my way home and this will give me something to do over the holidays.

Any ideas or tips to help this go as smooth as possible?

This sounds like a recipe for their 60 Minute IPA?

I'll assume that's the beer you're talking about. I cloned this beer some time ago and it turned out pretty good. At DFH they 'continually hop' their beers, meaning, they add hops constantly throughout the boil (and they name the beers according to how long they keep this up: 60, 90, 120 Minute IPA's). So for my recipe, I added small amounts of hops every 5 minutes for the duration of the boil. Just be sure to mix your three hop varieties pretty evenly before putting them in muslin bags. The beer ended up with a beautifully crisp, piny hop character (mine was ended up ~60IBUs). I would recommend adding hops like this to anyone*. As written, I think the recipe should include more hops late in the boil, though.

The recipe I used only called for 6oz of Crystal malt. My version was decidedly dry; no real sweetness from the crystal that your recipe will certainly have. Admittedly, mine was imbalanced - but I like it that way. Decide how balanced you want your beer and perhaps find a middle ground?

As for adding half of your extract at different times, I wouldn't bother. People will tell say 'you get better hop utilization when your gravity is lower'. They're probably right, though I'm not sure if it makes a huge enough difference to worry about as small batch home brewers. If you add the LME at different times, you will have multiple hot breaks and potential for multiple boil-overs. Sounds like unnecessary hassle to me...

Hope that helps.

Good luck, merry Christmas! Let us know how it turns out

* If you decide to go this route, make sure you don't overdo the hop additions, especially early in the boil. Use a spreadsheet tool to make sure your IBU's end up where it should.

Alright I completed this about 15 minutes ago. All went well, I pitched at a little higher temp than called for (75) but no worries. I also decided to use Safale S-04 yeast instead of Nottingham, I was reading into the DFC Clone and SA-04 seemed a better option, my LHBS agreed so I went with it. Attached the blow-off and now its mother natures turn to work.

OG = 1.072 :ban:

I have high hopes for this batch, all went well! No more kits for me, I will keep doing extract and do AG sooner or later.

DSCN1873.jpg

This will be my next batch,i think i'm gonna do a part/mash
Anyway it looks great! Can't wait to find out how it tastes.

It went bat **** crazy over night and has been going crazy all day today, just now starting to settle down. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I am going to leave it in Primary for 7-10 days and then rack into secondary and dry hop it. Leave it in secondary for 2wks or so and bottle it.

Back