Mold creeping up on me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all, I apologize for the not-worrying-and-having-a-home-brew'edness of this message, but im so paranoid that im working on my second straight mold infected batch that I need some second opinions on what Im seeing.

Its a double chocolate oatmeal stout, just fyi.
Shiezer.jpg

You will notice little white "spore-looking" circles floating on top of the beer. Now these could be mold spores, but they could also be little trubbies accumulating bubbles around them (i hope)

Im not really sure how mold looks in the beginning, but I do know what it looks like in the end :mad:

IMG_1341.jpg

Sigh

It's hard to tell...but yeah it does look like mold in the bottom one....the circulars are a little to "uniform" i think to be yeastie colonies...I can't tell anything from the bright reflection of the top one.

I'm going to copy your pic, and open up photoshop and see if I can zoom in to get a better look.

*shakes head*

I played with filters to try to remove the glare in front of some of the bubbles....

eamusmold1.jpg

Then I cropped, ran a couple more filters, sharpened the image and adjusted the contrast.

eamusmold.jpg

to me it could go either way...it could be mold, or it could be fizzy yeast colonies....

Maybe someone else with better eyes can tell.

no no no! The bottom one WAS thrown out, it was infected with mold 100%. I mean the top one! haha.

Yeah the top one has little white spore looking things floating on the top and I just don't know if thats what mold looks like in its early life. I caught the one on the bottom after I was on vacation after a week. I re-racked it leaving the nasties on top, and it grew back within a matter of days. It was sad throwing out a beautiful dunkel :(

Any thoughts on the EDIT: Top one?

no no no! The bottom one WAS thrown out, it was infected with mold 100%. I mean the top one! haha.

Yeah the top one has little white spore looking things floating on the top and I just don't know if thats what mold looks like in its early life. I caught the one on the bottom after I was on vacation after a week. I re-racked it leaving the nasties on top, and it grew back within a matter of days. It was sad throwing out a beautiful dunkel :(

Any thoughts on the EDIT: Top one?

That glare makes it nearly impossible to tell...BUT nothing looks as geometric to me as the other (bottom) carboy does.

If you can take me a better pic without the glare, I still have my photoediting software open.

No but I DO work at a medical school with gross anatomy professors and morticians, and I have some acces to fast computers and decent photosoftware.

Morticians go to med schools..?

{worth another thread:} BTW, (in some future), I refuse to be embalmed ---too many chemicals!

Morticians go to med schools..?

{worth another thread:} BTW, (in some future), I refuse to be embalmed ---too many chemicals!

No, morticians prepare the donated bodies for the students to dissect...and anatamists teach them how. Oddly enough though, the head of our bodybequest/morgue department is studying to be a forensics person...some of the stuff she's studied is pretty wild...just like CSI on tv...blood spatter patterns, bullet wounds, etc.

That glare makes it nearly impossible to tell...BUT nothing looks as geometric to me as the other (bottom) carboy does.

If you can take me a better pic without the glare, I still have my photoediting software open.

Ill try and get a better picture later for you. For now, do you by any chance know what mold looks like before its obvious? Because if I can detect it early I may be able to save the brew...

Ill try and get a better picture later for you. For now, do you by any chance know what mold looks like before its obvious? Because if I can detect it early I may be able to save the brew...

Not really....It's not that common...usually only with people who have left carboys sitting for a loooong time and the airlock fell out....

that deffinitly looks like mold...sorry man. if they continue to grow in size ide say you deffinitly have mold growth

:rockin:Holy Shizzit, I'm watching an episode of CSI HBT. Damn Revvy, sometimes you go too far. Image analysis on fermenting beer. You definately rock. :rockin:

The top looks like nothing more then floating trub or yeast.

The bottom one was probably bacteria and not mold.

HEY!!!! If you decide to change your name, you have to put "formally known as..." somewhere near your AV...You really confused the heck outta me...:D

Just wanted to try it on :drunk:

Im way too EamusCatuli to change it now!

Back