Weissbier Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy 4th of July Folks.

It's good to be brewing again after a long hiatus due to business travel. 10 gallons of Hefe is a good start today.

Cheers,

EdWort

EdWort said:
Happy 4th of July Folks.

It's good to be brewing again after a long hiatus due to business travel. 10 gallons of Hefe is a good start today.

Cheers,

EdWort

Cool! Good to have you back Ed!

I brewed this back I early June and was easily my favorite brew Ive ever brewed. It's a great summer time brew IMO. Fermented in the mid 60s and it turned out great!!

EdWort said:
Happy 4th of July Folks.

Cheers,

EdWort

Welcome back. Your threads have gone crazy. You're basically responsible for 1,232,778 gallons of home brew since you went on hiatus.

After having successfully brewed hard cider last fall, and it being our first summer in the US after living in Europe where beer prices are humane at least; we have decided to brew our favorite summer beverage: Bavarian Hefe. We fell in love when cycling through Germany, and every evening after 90 km we'd pop into the Beer Garten to blissfully immerse in an exceedingly generous glass of the sunniest colored beverage I've ever had. Love. It. Everything about it.:ban:
So, after scanning all the recipes available online, we've opted for yours because of it's simplicity and short brewing time. Is there anything you would recommend before we head off to our local brew shop? We live in a small town, and so our brew shop may or may not have the specific ingredients that you list, so if you have substitutions for the more uncommon stuff, please let us know what would be kosher.
Fielen Dank!|

We live in a small town, and so our brew shop may or may not have the specific ingredients that you list, so if you have substitutions for the more uncommon stuff, please let us know what would be kosher.
Fielen Dank!|

I have read where some people could not get German "red" wheat, I subbed that for german light and I used WLP300 YEAST... It's the same strand as the OP. Hope that helps

Brewed this for the first time yesterday. OG 1.050, but due to kettle losses (I leave quite a bit behind in the kettle when transferring to fermenter), ended up with 4.5gal in the fermenter. Pitched yeast from 1l starter of 3068, and it's in my fermentation chamber at 62F ambient (68F liquid temp). Blow off tube bubbling like mad this morning. Looking forward to drinking in a few weeks.

I brewed a version of this last week but used the Briess White Wheat as it was all my LHBS had. Been fermenting at 65 F for 8 days now. I'll go two more and check the gravity before keg carbing for a week and it will be good to go.

Wow, that went nuts! 2.5 gal of head space in the bucket and a blow off tube, and foam all over the bottom of my fermentation chamber! There's a nice amount of yeast in the blow off container, and if I thought about it, I would have sanitized it to trap the yeast for the next brew.

EyVqjAD.jpg

Kegged - sample tastes amazing even flat and warm. Nice balance of flavours. On the gas for 2 weeks. FG was 1.012 which is slightly higher than expected.

Edit: Couldn't wait and tapped the keg after a week. Lovely taste, not too dominated by one or the other. Sorry about the out of style glass

qKVsh64l.jpg

is the wyeast activator good enough as a starter to picth in?

Also, exactly what wheat malt did you use, is white malt fine?

And what exactly do you mean by efficiency and how do you figure it out and why is it important?

What do you think about adding flaked wheat to it?

I tried this as my first BIAB all grain batch and made some mistakes resulting in missing my OG, I only got up to 1.040. I also substituted White labs WLP400 because I had some washed yeast from a previous batch on hand. I originally brewed this on on 9/7 and went to keg it on 9/21 and found that it appears to be stuck @ 1.020

I moved it up from the basement because we have been getting temperatures below in the low 50s some nights and i figured it may be a little cold and fermenting slowly but the temp of the sample i took from it was 68.4 F, so im not sure thats it. I'm going to take another reading today and I'm hoping its made some progress.

I've only had one stuck batch before and it was a temperature issue, so once I moved the fermenter to a warmer area it kicked right back into gear. Hoping that this one will do the same, if not should I add more yeast? Still new to all grain and I'm not sure if not hitting my target gravities caused more unfermentable sugars in this and that's why its "stuck". Its only about 25 bucks worth of ingredients but I'd hate to have to throw it down the drain.

Dry really? I didn't think honey would do that.

Anytime I've fermented honey like mead or a recipe that had any significant amount of honey it always ferments out dry. Maybe someone else (more qualified than me) could throw in their 2 cents

I have a couple questions for the people who have brewed this beer. I am too lazy to read all the pages of info. :)

I am trying to brew a batch my wife (i refuse to use the term swmbo :p ) will like.
This hefeweizen is my best guess.

I am looking for a rich creamy mouthfeel, sweet delicious beer with banana ester.

1. How is the mouthfeel of the beer? I want a creamy rich beer. Has anyone felt it necessary to add dextrine or carapils to the batch?

2. how is the final sweetness? my wife doesnt like bitter at all. When she drinks wine she drinks the liquid candy kinda stuff. I dont want to get outta whack to far on this beer but I want it to be sweet in the end so she likes it, but I also want to like it.

3. beersmith is telling me that not even a full 1 liter starter is enough for the 3068. I usually make a .75 liter starter for almost every batch and have had great luck. Any reason to think this will be different.

4. Is the recipe on page 1 the most up to date widely accepted way to go on this beer or is there changes. I have read some stuff about red wheat and other stuff.

5. Do you think this will be a good style for my girl? I really want to make a beer she will like. She is super supportive but doenst like beer at least not yet, and id like to change that.

Brewed this today as a BIAB...my first. I had several problems; namely my thermometer crapping out on me. So, I dont think my mash was at the right temp...but we shall see. My OG reading was also very low :( However, I am hopeful!

yeah, I BIAB'ed this in the weekend. I think I might need to double crush. I ended up with an OG of 1.038. Had to top it up with DME.

Missed my numbers on this one. 1.055 OG and 1.006 FG. Higher alcohol than I wanted on this and out of style. Out of the fermentor I got lots of banana.

Just brewed up this bad boy the other day. Got my temps to 68 and pitched the 3068, and that yeast is insane! Once it took off it immediately jumped to 74. I hear bad things about the yeast at high temps. I immediately took it to my basement in hopes I can bring the temps back down to the high 60's low 70's. Hoping it turns out good.

I'm drinking my first one right now, 3 weeks in the bottle, 2 days in the fridge, tastes great! I followed the recipe exactly, except for the yeast, had to sub wlp300 because lhbs won't carry wyeast. thanks for the recipe edwort!!
og 1.051, fg 1.010

Well I got my temps down to 64 for this beer. It definitely tamed the yeast a bit, still got high krausen but not becoming a beersplosion now anyway. Hope it taste great.

yeah, I BIAB'ed this in the weekend. I think I might need to double crush. I ended up with an OG of 1.038. Had to top it up with DME.

Just brewed this today for the 2nd time BIAB. First time I had similiar low efficiency. This time I double crushed, and ended up with 5 gallons @ 1.052. So not spot on considering the recipe is for 5.5 gallons but double crushing definitely helped efficiency.

Greetings Edwort,

I'm brewing this beer this weekend. I have everything I need to follow your recipe exactly. I have been wanting to do a Hefeweisen for a while now. I'm going with your recipe. The glorious praise cannot be ignored. I'm jumping in to see for myself what all the talk is about. BTW, this is my first hefe beer ever. Well, I've had several very good ones before. This is my first attempt at brewing one. I'll update with my results!

Thanks for the recipe!

Tried this beer after 11 day in the bottle, it was pretty harsh still. Wicked pepper/clove taste to it, with the hint of banana. I've read that 3068 does take some to level out. So will give it another go in about 10 days, but overall the taste wasn't to bad and expect it should be a great summer beer.

Well, I attempted to brew this beer today. I totally screwed it up. I replaced the Pils malt with German munich. Expecting a low efficiency, I added an extra pound of wheat and barley malt. My efficiency was fantastic and I ended up with 6 gallons of 1.070 wort. Oh well, thanks for inspiring me. I'm dropping out of this thread now. This beer is not the beer recipe you provided anymore. I messed it up. Still, I'm thankful for the inspiration. I have no doubts that this will be a great beer.

Thanks for a great recipe! I brewed this beer about two weeks ago. I added 10 oz of Munich and a tsp of dried orange peel. Followed ed wort's hop schedule and starter recommendation exactly, but unfortunately could not maintain consistent ferm. temperature. Through primary ferment, the temp Swung up to about 73/74 and the remainder hovered at about 66-68. Cold crashed around 35 for 24 hrs then carbed up to 3 volumes.

The end result: a banana/citrus blast with a nice crisp slightly peppery finish. Banana dominates the taste, but is refreshing if a little out of season. Aroma is banana, lemon, bread and a bit of sourness. Mouthfeel is low-medium. If I had to do it again, I might leave out the orange. Loving this beer. Thanks again. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391366304.163097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do not want to read 100+ pages...has anyone done an extract version of this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Doing this one this weekend. Did it once before with WLP 300 and really liked how it came out. Going with the "correct" Wyeast 3068 this time. Anyone know of any discernible difference between the two?

Doing this one this weekend. Did it once before with WLP 300 and really liked how it came out. Going with the "correct" Wyeast 3068 this time. Anyone know of any discernible difference between the two?

I have used both and didn't notice a difference.

Back