Drom John logo/labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DromJohn

5 Gallon Partial-Something Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started with says-it.com, and have switched to Photoshop since says-it.com has been mostly "forbidden." I use an horizontal oval to cover the horizontal bracket on swingtops.

My avatar is my logo.
The logo has been etched onto four mugs and four tulips.

My first brew back in 2009, was a Continental Light Lager from Patrick Baker's "The New Brewer's Handbook." It was picked as a random recipe from over 700 cookbooks. I was given the booklet in the early 90's by my father's classmate "Uncle Jack," a retired Army engineer who learn to brew while working for Aramco. I took the handbook to LHBS in Winston-Salem and starting loading beginner's equipment in a cart when I noticed the dozen's of imported beers and crafts. I put the equipment back on the shelves and left with about three cases of singles and a case of Anchor Christmas Ale. About 17 years later, choosing my next cooking recipe, random.org selected the handbook. Continental Light Lager went labeless.

I bought my two bucket setup and the first two brews from Xtreme Brewing because they had a 60-Minute clone.

My second brew was the Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA. Tasted great, but I mishandled bottling so that I had teeth picking hops. I had to strain each pour. So I hit the internet and found Homebrewtalk, and learned about auto-siphons, Irish moss, says-it.com, and Austin Homebrew Supply.

Drom John 60 Minute IPA.gif

My wife decides to encourage me, and announced that every other brew was SWMBO's choice. Meanwhile, when my step-daughters couldn't figure out what to get me for Christmas, my wife directed them to AHS, and helped them select two kits that showed up under the tree. I've been an AHS fan since. First up, AHS Dry Stout.

Drom John Dry Stout.gif

The second of the stepdaughters kits was AHS Ordinary Bitter, and the following label has the first of several ignorant misspellings.

Ordinary Bitters.jpg

And then it was the first of the SWMBO choices and the main reason we went to AHS. AHS seemed to be the best source for her favorite beer, too hard to get in Georgia, Redhook Double Dark Stout, and another misspelling.

Drom John Double Black Expresso Stout label.gif

So, since I had the Dry Stout and the Ordinary Bitter, SWMBO got two in a row, AHS Lemongrass Ginger Ale.

Drom John Lemongrass Ginger Ale.jpg

Hmm, we just finished the Lemongrass Ginger Ale before the Belhaven. The Belhaven was brewed first.
So, then I brewed the AHS clone of my go to porter since the early 90s, Anchor Porter.

Drom John Anchor Porter Clone.jpg

I have quaffed about 200 Berghoff Darks at The Berghoff in Chicago, mostly 1977-1981, and a few after, and a handful at O'Hare. I hadn't yet brewed a dark lager, and AHS had a clone. This was a MS Paint job.

Berghoff Dark.jpg

Did I tell you that Redhook Double Black Stout is my SWMBO's longstanding favorite beer (though she's recently discovered the Scaldis line). Even though I knew I had misspelled espresso the first time, my fingers x'ed it again.

Drom John Double Black Expresso Stout II.gif

Time for something fancy. BYO has a Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu clone, 50% ale, 25% mead, 25% wine (half rice, half grape), bittered by hawthorn berry, fermented with sake yeast.

Drom John Neolithic Yellow River Braggot.gif

SWMBO goes dark again with AHS Munich Spiced Porter. says-it.com is forbidden. This is my first Photoshop.

Drom John Munich Spiced Porter.jpg

I repeated the recipe for 60-minute IPA but replaced some LME with tamarind concentrate, and replaced with leftover hops, for my 60-Minute Tamarindia Ale.

Drom John 60 Minute Tamarindia Ale.jpg

And SWMBO selects AHS Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout. AHS recommended Makers Mark, but I went to my go to, because Jerry Jeff Walker would down a bottle every concert in the mid-70s.

Drom John Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout.jpg

This morning I put my Allagash Grand Cru (AHS clone) in the primary, from the not Bitter/IPA column.

Drom John Allagash Grand Cru Clone.jpg

This morning I put my Innis & Gunn clone in the primary, SWMBO's choice, my recipe cobbling off others and especially the Innis & Gunn website. New iMac, made on Seashore.

Drom John Innis and Gunn.jpg

My second brew was a Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA. Later I substituted tamarind nectar for some LME for 60-Minute Tamarindia Ale. My current plan is that every eight brews will be an IPA, and that I'll alternate brewing an AHS kit and a clone. Using cheapest as a substitute for simplest, the AHS kits will be their cheapest 14B that I haven't brewed. This is an Excel chart with some text added in Word.

Drom John AHS Budget IPA.jpg

Letting random.org select among our 911 books with recipes for my next random cooking. Four of the 911 are brew books. Home Beermaking by William Moore was picked. Then random page, and random recipe on that page and I have brewed a Summer Beer. This was my first all extract beer, and my first purchase from Brewmasters Warehouse (because I was going to be up near Marietta).

Drom John Summer Beer.jpg

SWMBO's choice, Redhook Double Black Stout III. This time a more organic version from Brew Brothers, Hillsoboro. Instead of Starbuck's Espresso SWMBO selected Counter Culture Espresso Toscano.

Drom John Double Black Stout III.jpg

Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale, a Drom John experiment, a hopless rye braggot; all organic, first purchase from Seven Bridges Cooperative because of Briess Organic Pale LME and organic rye.

Drom John Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale.jpg

Drom John choice. Every 8th brew will be a bitter, alternating between Redhook ESB variations and the cheapest category 8 AHS kit that I haven't brewed. Except this time the AHS Special Bitter kit was out of stock (Maris Otter). So I skipped down to AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious. The circled graphic is by AHS with permission of White Labs. Obviously this uses San Diego Super Yeast WLP090 and Fuggle (plus Northdown). I modified the label by adding my preferred horizontal oval and by adding the text. The beer name is too small, but it is a long name.

Drom John AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious.jpg

From my non Bitter/IPA slot, my first gluten free attempt for my step-daughter. Her distance Arabian is featured in the name and on the label.

Drom John Rafikah Roses GF Pear Ale.jpg

My choice, and I've slotted an IPA clone every 16 brews. There's a beer everybody says is great, but I've never tasted it (nor seen it to taste). So tonight I brewed Northern Brewer's The Plinian Legacy.

Drom John NB Plinian Legacy.png

SWMBO choice, Val-Dieu Triple. Purchased the kit from Maltose Express, the Tess & Mark Szamatulski shop. This is a "new beer recipe" which will included in their forthcoming third clone book.

Drom John Val Dieu Triple.png

My experiment slot, an attempt to clone Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition Ale, significantly derived from a HBT thread.

Drom John 8-4-1 Expedition Ale.png

This is a play on my favorite session beer, Redhook ESB. I replaced the Pale Ale malt and Amber LME with Munich.

Drom John Munchen Haken.png

SWMBO choice. Recipe from Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulkski, adapted to LME partial mash. "Bush" in Europe, Brasserie Dubuisson markets as "Scaldis" in the U.S. to avoid being mistaken as Busch. "Bush de Noël" is "Yule log," which is a decadent Christmas dessert. This brew is that decadent. Unfortunately the U.S. name "Scaldis Noël" loses the Yule log reference.

Drom John Scaldis Noel.png

Sixteen brews ago, I selected the cheapest AHS IPA kit that I hadn't brewed. Since then I have brewed and been happy with kits from Maltose Express and Northern Brewer. So I widened my target and selected the cheapest kit that I hadn't brewed offered by those three vendors. Because NB took six days to process my order, thus missing my original planned brew day, this might be my last NB kit. However, the wort smelled and tasted very nice. It's a conundrum. The label is a NB web ad modified using MSPaint.

Drom John NB Condundrum Session IPA.png

Latest posts

Back