Best US 2-Row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
Brew dudes,

I've always used Briess 2-row from my LHBS in making my APAs and IPAs, but I recently switched to Rebel Brewer when I realized how close it was to me (I live in Nashville) and I have access to way more types of grain. Having never had the option to choose between types of US 2-row, I've never had the opportunity to evaluate each against each other. My question to you is, what type of US 2-row is your favorite and why?

Thanks guys.

I prefer Great Western Pale Malt, not really a true comparison. The regular GW 2 row is pretty much the same as Breiss to me.

All in all I agree with the price factor - and more importantly buying from a vendor that stores it properly and has a fast turnover in ingredients.

I prefer Great Western Pale Malt, not really a true comparison. The regular GW 2 row is pretty much the same as Breiss to me.

All in all I agree with the price factor - and more importantly buying from a vendor that stores it properly and has a fast turnover in ingredients.

Do you have any idea if Great Western sells 50lb sacks from their site? I saw that you can request a quote, but wasnt sure if it would be worth it to buy such a small amount from them.

Try brewbros.biz , maybe they can get a bag to you. They don't sell to the public anymore, as I recall. I pay a bit under $30 / bag, that's picked up of course.

Rahr hands down, do to the fact of the lower pH of the malt, really helps with making a better beer.

Anybody gotten grains from fiftypoundsack.com? Their prices are ~&60-75 for most grains, and that includes shipping! I think the cheapest 2-row was $58. That's a sick deal from what I've seen.

Having just started AG to cut down on batch costs, I'd love to hear anyone's experience.

Gambrinus but it's technically Canadian, and more than anything because it's mega cheap. 30 minute drive north, $21 for a 50lb sack and thank you very much sir!

I actually don't like Briess, and I've heard the same from some others. I pick up on this weird earthy/artificial grape flavor and during a recent discussion with my brew club found that others get some "husky"-ness from it, and the issue of pH (possibly from the grey water that Briess uses during the malting process) came up. I'm intrigued to read this from others, as bh10 mentions a lower pH with Rahr.

I can actually get CMC 2-row the cheapest, and I like the beers I make with it.

I'm with Pseudo I use CMC 2-row or Great western Premium 2-row both make good beer.
Great Western Northwest Pale Ale is really nice if you want a little extra malt flavor.

I personally never use Breiss but its interesting about the pH issue with it. I Like the Great Western Caramel malts a lot better than Breiss, I think they have a nicer flavor and they are 2-row.

For run of the mill type beers, I just use Briess 2 row brewers malt which I get locally for $42 per 50 lb sack. Never had any problems with it, but then I might not have the best taste buds in the world either. <shrug>

Personally, I am of the opinion that North American 2-row is all pretty much the same. Low flavor, high enzyme. I couldn't tell the difference between Briess, Rahr, CMC, and MaltEurope. Never tasted them side by side though.

I would stay away from Breiss. I prefer Rahr over GW, as I get better yields and perceived flavor with the former. Additionally GW is owned by ConAgra. I know some people's buying habits are not motivated by a particular company's business practices, but mine are, and given the choice I'd rather buy from Canada than here in WA if it means supporting someone with less questionable ethics.

1. Whats wrong with ConAgra? According to the website, they are pretty cool. :)

2. Where do you see that GW is owned by ConAgra currently?

3. What does Canada have to do with it?

I would not buy from a company that I knew had atrocious business practices, all though I'm afraid that would severely limit my purchasing of many things.

*In 1995, joint venture partners ConAgra Foods and Tiger Brands purchased Great Western Malting Co., Canada Malting Co. Limited, Bairds Malt Limited and Barrett Burston Malting to form ConAgra Malt.

In 2006, Castle Harlan, together with its affiliate CHAMP Private Equity, acquired ConAgra Malt and created United Malt Holdings (UMH).

In November 2009, the UMH-owned group of companies namely, Canada Malting, Great Western Malting, Bairds Malt and Barrett Burston Malting, were purchased by GrainCorp, a leading Australian grain handler and marketer. The acquisition led to the creation of GrainCorp Malt and transformed GrainCorp into an international agribusiness with operations in Australia, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom &#8211; and now Germany.

In October 2011, GrainCorp purchased GermanMalt GmbH and Co. The name of this business has been changed to Schill Malz. Schill Malz is made up of four malting plants, with a total capacity of 190,000 tonnes.

Today, GrainCorp Malt is one of the world&#8217;s largest producers of malt for use in the brewing, distilling and food industries.

With what malts, b/c there's a huge difference between Briess and Rahr pH wise, and taste wise. Briess is garbage IMO.

Yep. Friends don't let friends use Briess.
I usually end up with Great Western, as they are close and cheap.

Back