Can I ferment 15 gallons in a 15.5 gallon keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DlALTONE

Reaction score
I am worried I will not have enough head space for the fermentation. I plan on taking the keg's stem out and putting a rubber carboy cap on w airlock.

I am worried about losing alot of brew. Ill be mostly doing stouts. I will be doing 15 gallon batches and want to use a 1/2 barrel so I can transfer using CO2. I thought about using that anti foam but am worried that it may effect my head retention or that it will not be effective enough with only 1/2 gallon head space.

I don't use anti foam, but read this as it will correct a lot of the mis information about the stuff.

I don't use anti foam, but read this as it will correct a lot of the mis information about the stuff.

Great find there...

Still 15 gallons into a 15.5 gallon keg is mighty tight. I would put about 11-12 gallons into it, and use another vessel for the rest. Such as a 1/6 bbl sanke keg. Or just reduce your batch size by a gallon, or two, and give yourself enough headspace to not need to worry.

I've had trouble with a hyperactive fermentation of 12 gallons in a 14.5 gallon conical. I ended up losing nearly a gallon. I think that 15 gallons in a 15.5 gallon fermenter is way too much. If you have a carboy, ferment 3 or 4 gallons in it and the rest in the keg.

do a closed off sealed fermentation in that keg. it should be able to ferment 15 gallons under pressure JUST FINE.

-=Jason=-

Back