CO2 outside / air manifold mounting inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into moving my 20# CO2 tank from inside to outside my keg fridge/kegerator (large Wirlpool fridge w/ top freezer).

In the past, I have seen pictures of people mounting their gas/air manifold to distribute the gas on the inside somewhere but I'm a bit afraid of just drilling into the side, not only to mount the manifold but also what the best way is to bring the gas line in. Hope someone cn help, perhaps with some pictures?

Thanks!!

Are you going to install a collar? I put a collar on my 7.0cf GE, which allowed me to A.) mount my manifolds without fear of hitting a refrigerant line, B.) drill holes for gas lines to run in from my regulators without fear of hitting a refrigerant line, and C.) improve my capacity from 3 kegs + 20# CO2 to 5 kegs with the CO2 outside.

Even if you don't want to put on a tall collar so that you can fit a keg on the hump, a 2x4 collar would be relatively low profile, but would still allow you to drill/screw into the side without damaging the coolant system.

I used some really strong double stick tape from 3M to hold the manifold to the inside of my keezer. Make sure the surface is dry and condensation free before you put it on. 3M makes some super strong tapes, you'd be surprised how well it works.

Sounds like your fridge is similar to mine. I drilled it just last weekend to run a gas line from the CO2 tank outside to the manifold inside. I first tried to find plans and specifications for my fridge. I was unable to, I think because the fridge is pretty old. I then decided, what the hell, DRILL BABY DRILL. I was pretty sure there was no coolant lines on the sides of the fridge, and it all ended up fine. I was also able to use some pretty small screws to mount the manifold on the inside of the same wall I drilled the hole for the gas line in.

So that would be my suggestion. Find plans for your fridge online if you can, so you know where you shouldn't drill. I guess another option might be to drill through the door. As far as I know, there shouldn't be any lines there to worry about.

Hi all,
I'm currently looking into moving my 20# CO2 tank from inside to outside my keg fridge/kegerator (large Wirlpool fridge w/ top freezer).

In the past, I have seen pictures of people mounting their gas/air manifold to distribute the gas on the inside somewhere but I'm a bit afraid of just drilling into the side, not only to mount the manifold but also what the best way is to bring the gas line in. Hope someone cn help, perhaps with some pictures?

Thanks!!

Somewhat related: I have a pair of 17 cf fridge/freezers I use for fermentation and cold storage, and outfitted them with external controllers. I had to drill holes to bring the temperature probes in, so (as has been suggested) I got onto the 'net with the model numbers looking for info on them, and was able to determine a safe spot to drill through the backs (in both cases, the top left corner of the fridge compartments, a couple of inches down from the ceilings).

So unless it's an ancient, "pre-web" unit, I suggest you try the same process and see where it leads you. If you need some help, post the make/model info here. If it's still pouring out here tomorrow I may have plenty of time on my hands, cuz I ain't building a deck in the rain, even if it is for my mom ;)

Cheers!

Thanks guys! I guess I'll check that out. Honestly didn't think searching for the plans. The fridge is about 10 years old so I assume I should find plans.

@solavirtus
Do you mind posting a picture please?

The tank and hole are in the side of the fridge. The manifold is mounted in the inside on the same side. I drilled a small pilot hole all the way through with a fairly small bit, then widened it with the step-bit pictured.

ForumRunner_20110815_210024.jpg

ForumRunner_20110815_210050.jpg

ForumRunner_20110815_210128.jpg

He has an upright fridge/freezer...

Cheers!
Derrr...... :eek: Missed that somehow. Forget my misplaced, inappropriate advice from before... Whoops!

Usually, fridge/freezer combos do the cooling in the freezer and "share the love" with the fridge compartment. These are a safer bet to drill through than a chest freezer, but I'd still personally go for drilling a small hole and doing some exploration with a small screwdriver or nail, just to be sure. Alternatively, the double stick tape idea carries some merit. Industrial adhesives can be crazy strong.

Or, if you have a small tension rod (think for a shower curtain or closet retrofit), you could use that to hold a mounting board in place while some liquid nails or similar dry/cure.

My tank sits on a shelf above my fridge. I ran the gas line through the bottom of the door on the hinge side. You would never know it was there if you weren't looking for it. I screwed a piece of 1x4 pine to the plastic cover in the top of the fridge. I took that off first to check for a good screw location. I mounted the manifold to that piece of wood. I never risked drilling into the walls of the fridge...learned the hard way.

Back