Another brew day oops - forgot the aroma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawton

Reaction score
All kinds of mistakes tonight. Now I forgot the aroma hops in my robust porter. I was going to add 1 oz of tettnanger pellets for aroma but forgot them. Should I just forget it altogether or add them after fermentation is complete? I wasn't going to rack to a secondary this time, but is it necessary to dry hop? And use the pellets?

Dry hop the bejesus out of it once fermentation is done. 2ndary or not. I don't think it'll matter much.

My experience has been that dry hopping really cannot make up for a lack of aroma hops. The oil extraction profile is different. Making a hop tea is your best bet.

Next time, cut back on the reef during the brew process. :drunk:

And yeah, just dry hop with that 1 oz for about 1-2 weeks, preferably in a secondary after fermentation has completed.

OoOooOoo - hop tea.......

My experience has been that dry hopping really cannot make up for a lack of aroma hops. The oil extraction profile is different. Making a hop tea is your best bet.

I'll agree with David_42 here, make a hop tea with a couple of cups of water. That will get you closer to the desired effect.

Whoopsie! I'd be in big trouble if I forgot my late addition hops. I've been gradually moving the bulk of my hop additions later in the boil. For example, my pale ale additions are as follows... 20g (.75oz) @ 60mins; 56g (2oz) @ flameout; and 56g dry hop 4-5 days in the secondary. I do a 5min hot whirlpool so the flameout hops do impart some flavor. Like I said, it would be a completely different beer without late additions. That's why I have to have a recipe in front of me that I can check off as I go. My A.D.D. Self would forget to pitch yeast otherwise!
:cross:

I have always wondered this but does it make a significant amount of difference if you forget your aroma hops. Lets say your recipe calls for 1 oz of aroma hops: could you just dry-hop with 1 oz. to get the same effect? If not, do you think it would take 2 or 3 oz of dry hops just to get the same effect?

Back