Best way to sanitize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
Hey, I just started brewing and i was wondering what the best method to clean and sanatize. Should i fill up my 5 gallon buckets with a bleach and water mix and throw all the equipment im going to use in their to soak? For how long to soak? What kind fo cleaner to use? I appreciate any tips on methods for sanitizing and cleaning. Sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure i sanatize right.

The two cheapest non-bleach sanitizers are onestep and Iodaphor. Both of them have a short contact time requirement, less than a couple minutes. You don't have to fill up your entire bucket with these solutions, just ensure that you coat all the surfaces a couple times. I mix up either of the above, a couple gallons and put the lid on my bucket and shake it up a couple times waiting a couple minutes in between. I also suggest getting a wallpaper wetting tray to sanitize your racking canes/autosiphon.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld where George always wanted to go out on top so when he made a funny joke, he would just walk out of the room.

It was either pure stupidity or pure genius!

Getting a plastic wallpaper tray is a very good and cheap way to sanitize items especially your longer items like tubing and racking canes. I just keep one filled up next to my brewing area and keep everything in there soaking till I need it. But if you dont have one yet your bucket will work just fine. Just make sure to flip those long items over so both ends get a good soak. If you are using bleach make sure to rinse with preboiled or bottled water to avoid possible off flavors. I recommend using idophor or Star San as both ar no rinse sanitizers. Hope this helps...

Back