First time brewer... Oktoberfest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homie072001

Reaction score
OK so I'm new to this website, new to brewing, and my first brew will be an Oktoberfest so I have some questions. I have been doing all the research I can lately but can't find definite answers on a few things. Also, since I have seen it referenced many times, I have been reading Palmer's "How to Brew" but haven't finished it...

First, the kit I have came with SAF w-34/70 yeast but only one package, which is what the recipe calls for, but I have read a few things suggesting to use two packages. Should I use two or will one be enough for a 5 gallon batch?

Second, the yeast package itself doesn't say to re-hydrate it, just sprinkle it on top. But again, a lot of things suggest re-hydrating it or making a starter. What is the most efficient process, or which route should I take since this will be my first brew?

Third, does it mater if I do a d-rest before lagering? I know there is a lot on this subject but it seems like if I just leave it in the primary for a longer period, I should be fine. Is this correct? I had planned on fermenting in the primary for 2-3 weeks before racking to the secondary and lagering. Any help you guys can provide whould be great!

One package should be enough for a five gallon batch. I would re-hydrate, however I have sprinkled dry yeast on top of wort and everything turned out fine. Palmer recommends re-hydrating.

A starter is NOT typically necessary w/ dry yeast.

As for the diacetyl rest, I don't lager yet.

Bottled: Southern English Brown, American wheat
Primary: Irish Red (Northern Brewer)
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Old Ale (Midwest)

If you're a fan of lagers and plan on making them frequently, I'd suggest investing in Noonan's book, "New Brewing Lager Beer." It has a wealth of information specifically focused on lagers.

For my 2 cents on the subject, I think the success of your lager depends primarily on the ability to keep the temperature at a constant 50-55 and on pitching a sufficient quantity of yeast. Although I know reasonable opinions differ, I personally am of the opinion that a starter is always recommended for a lager whether using liquid or dry yeast. You can make it at room temperature, crash the yeast the night before, decant, and pitch into your brew. As to the rest, when you're getting ready to rack, taste test the beer for the presence of diacytal. If you don't taste it, the d-rest isn't necessary. If it is present, then the d-rest is necessary. Good luck!

Hahaha. This thread is full of forum cliche...

No. 1 package will not provide the proper pitching rate for 5g of lager beer. You will need 2 packets. Check here for some good calculations for the future.

That yeast works very nicely and is the same strain as 2124 offered by Wyeast. I used it in my Oktoberfest this year to great effect.

Second, you should definitely rehydrate the yeast per the instructions. The only acceptable time to not rehydrate is if you are pitching warm (70ºF) which I highly recommend against.

I suggest you cool your wort to 5 degrees below your fermentation temp (~46ºF), rehydrate your yeast, and pitch. Then allow the beer to warm to your fermentation temp (~53ºF).

I did not rehydrate and had a very long lag phase as a result that I was not happy about. I also needed to do a diacytl rest after about 9 days when 3/4 of the fermentables were eaten.

KellyK had good advice. Buy Noonan's book. It is the best brewing book I have read. However, do not make a starter for dry yeast. Everything I have ever read recommends against it, and it is way easier just to buy a second pack.

Back