Beer Sauce...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Our Cafeteria Director got an ultimatum from his wife to thin out his cookbook collection, and since he knew I was a food & cookbook geek, he brought a box in for me to root through, and I ended up with about a dozen interesting ones.

I was just thumbing through Bon Appetit Country Cooking, Regional and traditional recipes of Europe and North America, and came upon this interesting recipe for Cotlete Porc Cu Bere (Romanian Pork Chops with Beer Sauce.)

Ingredients:

1/4 cup pork fat or drippings
2 to 3 onions, finely sliced
2 to 3 lg. tart apples, peeled and sliced
1 to 2 clove garlic, chopped
4 thick pork chops
Salt and pepper

Beer Sauce:
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. flour
1 cup mild beer
Salt, cayenne pepper
Finely chopped parsley or chives
1 tbsp. brown sugar

Directions:
Heat the fat in a pan, spread with half the onions, add the apples, the remaining onion and garlic. Cook gently on top of the stove until the onions are soft and the apples cooked.

In the meantime prepare the chops. With a small knife score them in two or three places around the edges to prevent curling and cook them quickly in a dry pan, or under the broiler until brown on both sides.

When the chops are brown, place them on top of the simmering onions and apples. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover and cook over a low heat until the chops are tender (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile prepare the sauce.

Melt the butter, add the flour, stir well to make a roux, then gradually add the beer to make a thickish sauce. Add salt and pepper, parsley or chives, and sugar; stir well.

Serve the chops with the onion and apple mixture on a hot dish; and serve the beer sauce either separately or poured over the chops.

The beer sauce sounds great.

That sounds really good ! I wonder how it would work with a pork tenderloin. I just might have to try it !

That sounds really good ! I wonder how it would work with a pork tenderloin. I just might have to try it !

Oh yeah, great Idea Kjung...I wonder if you could use the beer sauce and braise the loin with it? I do a braised Pork loin in pear nectar with garlic, thyme and onions, that comes out fantastic. I use my cast iron dutch oven....

That sounds really good but personally, I would use chipotle instead on cayenne just to get some smokiness.

Oh yeah, great Idea Kjung...I wonder if you could use the beer sauce and braise the loin with it? I do a braised Pork loin in pear nectar with garlic, thyme and onions, that comes out fantastic. I use my cast iron dutch oven....

That's exactly what I was thinking ! Water (beer) down the sauce a little more,and I think that you'd have a good braising liquid. I'm thinking doubling the amount of beer, and braise 30 - 45 min.

GOTTA try this soon !

Hm, I made a recipe a few times that was almost identical to this. Except, it used a couple of tablespoons of dijon mustard, and the pork w/sauce was served over greens. The sauce made a very nice dressing for the greens once the pork chops were gone.

Back