Delayed Blow Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else have this happen and have an explanation? This batch was brewed last Sunday. The recipe is an IPA pitched with the slurry from a previous batch. Used an Oxynator. Temperature controlled fermentation. Krausen started to form after about 6 hours. Full two to three inches of krausen after 24 hours. Stayed that way until last night (first picture). It was about the same when I got up this morning (5:00am), but I just took a look (9:00am) and found this (second picture). What’s up with the blow off after 4 days?

blowoff1.jpg

I think you left off the pictures...:(

I've never had it happen, but it probably just took a long time for the CO2 to build up under the krausen enough to start tossing foam.

That's strange. Never had that happen before. Couldn't get two attachments to show up on the post. Here's the second one. Nothing special. Just your typical blow off.

blowoff2.jpg

That happened with my Kolsch. It has a blow off at the beginning, slowed down for a few days, and then another blow off. The temp was very constant the entire time as well. The beer still came out great.

:off:
Anyone notice that I did a hack job on the back shelf of the mini fridge to get a 6.5 gallon carboy to fit? Thought that I'd be breaking into the compressor compartment, but was surprised at how thick the insulation was.

I've never had it happen, but it probably just took a long time for the CO2 to build up under the krausen enough to start tossing foam.
That could very well be it. For the first few days the krausen was pretty dense, but now it's thinned out with big bubbles.

That could very well be it. For the first few days the krausen was pretty dense, but now it's thinned out with big bubbles.

It just goes to prove that there is no such thing as a "normal" fermentation. I guess that's what happens when you're using a living thing like yeast.

Have you put a blowoff tube on it yet? I bet if you collected the blown off Krauzen into boiled or distilled water, pitched the Krauzen into a starter brewed something in the next couple of days. You'd have a gnarly fermentaion on that as well...

What was the yeast you pitched onto?

. . . Have you put a blowoff tube on it yet? . . . What was the yeast you pitched onto?
Yeah, stuck the blowoff in right after snapping the picture. The yeast was a second generation Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. I did my first decoction and hit my temperature a bit low (148 degrees.) I don't know if the increased fermentability has anything to do with the blowoff?

BlowOff06.jpg

Funny stuff!

I haven't used Wy1272 in a long time, but couldn't get my preferred yeast, so went with it for an IPA last Sunday.

Got pretty much the exact thing as what happened in the OP from five years ago. Good krausen in less than 10 hours. Steady 3-4 inches for a few days. Wort temperature actually started to drop a little. Then I wake up to blow off.

I had forgotten completely about the first time. Did a search of "Delayed Blow Off" for some information and found my own thread. :cross:

1. Old age
2. Too much "fun" in my youth
3. Those damn aluminum pots
4. Genetic (not the sharpest pencil in the pack)
5. All of the above

Add another one onto the "Can we please get a necro-thread identification tag or something?" pile.
Add another one to the "Can we please get a low reading comprehension tag or something added to posts by members unwilling or unable to follow time stamps and actually read what’s been written?"

Oh, and guys, thanks for jacking my thread with BS rather than actually contribute something.

Add another one to the "Can we please get a low reading comprehension tag or something added to posts by members unwilling or unable to follow time stamps and actually read what’s been written?"

Oh, and guys, thanks for jacking my thread with BS rather than actually contribute something.

Yikes, chillax dude. We're glad you cared about this thread so much that you decided to bring it back 5 years hence, but really your post could have been its own thread. If you thought this one was so important, you could have linked it. You necro a thread and people are going to read from the top. Folks just wanting to drop in and leave a helpful $0.02 might just skim, get the impression of the thread and leave a few choice words. It's nothing personal.

Back