Thinking of making a nelson sauvin ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcooper72

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this? I am thinking of going all NS hops, marris otter and biscuit grains, and Sammy smith yeast. I have never had NS hops, just going off what I've read.

It doesn't make a very good IPA on its own. As high as the AA levels are, it's too smooth and weirdly fruity. If you pair it with something that has good bittering qualities and use it mostly in flavor additions, then you might be onto something.

Yes, the bittering is very soft. It does make a very good pale ale on its own, though. Aim for a 1:1 BU:GU ratio and use lots of late hops.

I love Nelson but am not a fan of it all by its lonesome. I would use a piney/dank hop to tone down the fruitiness. Simcoe or chinook would be good choices and I would use less Nelson than whatever other hop you choose, it's potent stuff.

I've heard of Simcoe and Nelson being paired before, but never Chinook and Nelson. That could be really interesting!

I have never done a single hopped anything, but I would like to get a feel the taste of this hop, so I think I am going for it! I will report results.:mug:

I love Nelson. Probably my favorite hop right now. I've never tried a single hop ale with it. But I might in the future as I still have 7oz. sitting around here.

I have a Nelson/Amarillo/Citra American style Wheat sitting in the fermenter right now. Pretty excited about it. I bittered with NS, but only like a 1/4 oz. added another 1/4 at 22 and the other 1/2oz at FO with Amarillo and Citra as Flavor/Aroma additions.

Try Pipeworks "At Her Majesty's Request", look it up on any beer rating site. Its an awesome beer. I would like to make a clone of this one also.

Kelso (a brewery here in ny) has been making an IPA for years using this hop and it's one of the best IPAs out there IMHO.

I made an a NS cascade IPA once. The tropical and citrus i got from the hops were nice but i did not prefer it for bittering. Id like to try bittering with chinook and flavor/aroma with NS and chinook

Going for an English IPA style, again I have never used nelson but hear it tastes like a white wine, I am going for a bread and wine type flavor (not a bad name:) What do you think?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 56.2 %
3 lbs 4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.1 %
1 lbs Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.3 %
1.25 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 26.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 16.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 10.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg
Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast (White Labs
#WLP037) [50.28 ml]
Yeast 9 -

bellmtbbq said:
Sorry but where are you guys still finding Nelson Sauvin outside of 1 oz packaging?

I bought some in 4oz packages at farmhousebrewingsupply.com and it looks like they have some back in stock right now.

+1 to what everyone said. This is such a strange, strange hop; I'm not sure you can ever get too much bittering out of it.

I had it in a single hop IPA that was still cloudy and it ended up being one of the nicest faux keller biers I've ever had! ; )

There's something about NS that makes me just want to GUZZLE any beer that includes that hop. Using only 15% NS just brings with it a ton of that NS juicy grapeyness! I go ape**** crazy for that hop. Any beer with NS should be lower gravity so that I can drink it by the 2 liter boot! ; )

Adam

I have a solo hop NS IPA in the kegerator as we speak. I think it's wonderful. It's definitely not an ordinary IPA but has a solid white grapey type flavor and awesome aroma. I used 3 oz throughout the boil and 2 for dry hopping (5 gallon batch).
Go for it! You won't regret it.
Corey

I did like a hoppy american wheat or a wheat ipa if you will with NS and Citra fermented with white labs kolsch yeast. Thought it was amazing. I think I used something neutral like Galena or Magnum for bittering and then used 4oz each of citra and NS. It had some of that peach-y goodness from citra and the crazy juicyness from NS keg disappeared way to quickly :(

Mr_Pear said:
I did like a hoppy american wheat or a wheat ipa if you will with NS and Citra fermented with white labs kolsch yeast. Thought it was amazing. I think I used something neutral like Galena or Magnum for bittering and then used 4oz each of citra and NS. It had some of that peach-y goodness from citra and the crazy juicyness from NS keg disappeared way to quickly :(

That sounds delicious! I bought a bunch of NS because it is usually out of stock so I got enough for another. With the kolsch yeast what temp do you ferment at? Cold for a cleaner taste or warmer for the fruitiness?

Nelson Sauvin features fairly prominently in Shift lager from New Belgium. If you can sample one alongside a Sierra Nevada pale ale palate cleanser, that unmistakably fruity component in the Shift is your Nelson contribution.

I made an all-Nelson hopbursted wit last spring. There was no 60 minute addition, I just added something like 2-4 ounces of Nelson in the last 15 minutes. But because of the high AA% I still got a fair amount of bitterness (albeit a very soft, round bitterness). And then I dry hopped it with another ounce or two of Nelson for a week or so.

Man, it was something unique. It didn't taste like any beer I've ever had, more like a fizzy, hazy juice of grapes and berries. It ended up being quite a refreshing summertime beer, but I probably wouldn't go with so many late additions again. Next time around I would do a traditional bittering charge with something like Warrior or Chinook and then use the Nelson sparingly as a flavor hop. And maybe dry hop with a blend of Nelson and something citrusy.

I would definitely encourage you to do a single hop Nelson beer, though, especially if you've never tried the hop before! It has such a unique and unmistakable flavor and aroma. But remember, a little Nelson goes a looooong way.

Keep us posted!

Yeah I used WLP 029 near the upper end of its recommended temp at 68 degrees. I ended up using 2oz each of citra and NS for dry hopping(4oz total). I did 1oz each for 3 days added another 1oz of each and dry hopped for another 3 days then kegged.

I agree with skipping the bittering hop on a Nelson Sauvin brew. I have made two different batches of american wheat using a half ounce of Williamette at 20 and half ounce at 5 minutes, then an ounce of Nelson at flame out and dry hop for two weeks with an ounce.

I think the flavors and aroma of the Nelson shine by skipping a 60 minute bittering hop.

Had the wife try a sample when I bottled the last batch. She said, this tastes like pineapple. I was getting mango. It's a very interesting hop to say the least.

Just brewed an IPA with lots of Nelson Sauvin this morning. I really love Alpine Brewing's Nelson IPA, it doesn't really make it out of San Diego but if you get a chance try it.

5.5 Gallon Batch
9.5# 2 Row
1.5# Munich 10
.5# Crystal 15
1# Sugar

Mash at 150 for 60 minutes

1oz Columbus FWH
1oz Columbus 30 min
5oz Nelson at KO
5oz Nelson Dry Hop

US-05 at 66 degrees

First batch in ~6 months and my efficiency hasn't suffered, it came in at 1.072 so it might be more boozy than I'd like.

I had a single hop Nelson Sav Saison from a buddy and it was amazing! I also had a pale ale with NS and I got pineapple as well. Both homebrews.

Anchor's Humming Ale is one of my top ten. Sufficient bite with a succulent fruitiness. I had heard its all NS, but I do not know.

Back