Whirlpool w/pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
I have my keggles complete on my new s/tier system. I'm going over the process in my head and one question I have is when to start/stop whirlpool.

Starting the whirlpool (march pump, side pickup, side whirlpool fitting) when I add the immersion chiller seems appropriate. So, when my wort temp gets to ~70F, is there a benefit to continue the whirlpooling (pull the chiller)?, or are all the benefits gained at that point? :mug:

I start the whirlpool while things are still boiling. This allows the boiling wort to sanitize the pump, tubing, etc...

I stop the whirlpool when I reach my target cooling temp.

Then I wait 20 mins or so for everything to settle out before transferring the wort to the fermenter.

maida7 said:
I start the whirlpool while things are still boiling. This allows the boiling wort to sanitize the pump, tubing, etc...

I stop the whirlpool when I reach my target cooling temp.

Then I wait 20 mins or so for everything to settle out before transferring the wort to the fermenter.

Do you leave the chiller in during the 20 min settling period?

Back