when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyKi

Reaction score
day 7 into fermenting my first batch!!

contents: 5 gal apple juice + 5 lb honey (too much?), champagne yeast, temperature 60-66 F, bubbling is reduced now compared to day ~2 peak bubbling.

I just tasted it, 'not bad'

hydrometer reads 1.01 (if I add the temperature correction 0.01), have a reading of 1.02+/-0.01

I would like to increase alcohol

when to bottle?

or should I get mesef a keg??

Thanks from a newbie,

Monty

5lbs of honey is definitely not too much. You should have no problem at all completely drying that out, especially with the champagne yeast. I've done 5 gal AJ/5 lbs honey, and it usually finishes with around 10-13% abv. The apple flavor is definitely in front, but that ratio of honey adds some nice flavors and body. I usually wait two months before I bottle. If you want it sparking, 22oz bombers are definitely the way to go- you only have to sanitize and rinse half as many. 5 gallons will get you about 25 bottles. Conditioning takes about three weeks.

Thanks for valuable feedback/confidence, means A LOT, e.g. re: not too much honey, and use bombers.

To have some fizz and end up dry and highish alcohol, what is recommendation for timing of bottling? We're now on day 8 and bubbling on the decline.

I failed to measure SG at outset :( Live and learn.

Procuring 25 22 Oz bombers shouldn't be too much trouble in the coming week+ I'll just have to put my beer/cider consumption into overdrive. :mug: And I'll ask friends who have bombers.

Back