Hops Choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaggy

Reaction score
I was planning on growing some hops this year, but can't make up my mind what to get. I was gonna grow three different types, one of them will be Willamette. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for the other two types. I would like to have three contrasting types so I can experiment some.

Maybe a low alpha, medium alpha and high alpha, other than that, whatever you like for flavor, aroma, etc.

Thanks for the replies, I got my hops rhizomes and planted them about a week ago (Cascade, Nugget, and Fuggle). I fertilized them with all organics, bloodmeal, bonemeal and cottonsead meal. I put chicken wire around them because I know some animals are attracted to these types of fertilizer. I was just wondering if any animals are attracted to hops plants?

We have an over-abundance of deer, raccoon, oppossum, squirrel, and rabbit around here.

. . . . .We have an over-abundance of deer, raccoon, oppossum, squirrel, and rabbit around here.

I'd be cautious of all these critters, I know my cows eat them (they love chinooks) and the squirrels eat them as some growers on here are having problems with squirrels.

I'd be cautious of all these critters, I know my cows eat them (they love chinooks) and the squirrels eat them as some growers on here are having problems with squirrels.

Squirrels will give them a taste and it will piss you off because they only do it the first year, really (when you only have a couple shoots per mound). The do not bother them after that. Most animals will try them "once", but deer will probably be your biggest issue. They will mow them down anywhere from 6 ft tall all the way down to the ground.

I decided upon my three based on what beers i like and what i typically make most of. Wilamette for the english types i frequent, Tettnang for the german stuff with noble hops, and Nugget as an all-round high AA bittering hop.

Somewhere to start, i suppose.

Back