Rotten Fruit flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
Ok I brewed this beer, it is supposed to be an extract version of BierMunchers OktoberFAST clone. The recipe is:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.75 oz Tettnang [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [5.00 %] (45 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.41 %
Bitterness: 23.2 IBU
Est Color: 12.6 SRM

The local HBSS was out of the correct grains and I forgot to write down what he gave me and also its supposed to be a half pound less extract(recipe adjusted) but I had the extra and figured more ABV cant hurt. So it sat in the fermenter for 4 weeks at 65-69 degrees. I bottled it at 4 weeks and naturally tasted some, it had a good nose that quickly gave way to an overpowering rotten fruit flavor. I bottled it, a bit disapointed but knowing it probably would fix itself with age but I bottled a few small bottles as a test to see if it is getting better or if I should try the batch over again.

So tonight at week one, I know im kind of impatient but I want to get another brew rolling this weekend and this decides what I brew...I cracked one open, it tasted slightly better hell it even reminded me of the Sam Adams but still gave way to the "rotten fruit" flavor.

Another beer I brewed(canned mexican cerveza) had the same flavor but not as bad so we drank it all. So any ideas on what this flavor is? I read it may be oxidation?

Thanks for the replys

"Rotten fruit flavor" doesn't sound like oxidation at all. Usually, that would come more from stressed yeast. At 65-69 degrees, though, that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'm stumped. At 75-80 degrees, I'd expect this but not at fermentation temperatures.

How long did fermentation take? Was the temperature of the wort/beer 65 degrees the entire time?

Sorry for late responce I got very busy this past weeks. Yes it was at 65-68 the entire time. I was away from the house for the first week of fermentation but It had reached it's FG after one week, and I was told the airlock only bubbled for about 2 days... So im assuming fermentation went rather quickly.

If you've got a similar problem with 2 different beers, I am guessing there's a sanitation problem somewhere. I made the Oktoberfast extract version and it came out good. I used amber DME and a different grain schedule of only 1.25 lbs. OG was 1.064, FG was 1.013. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Back