Cider Brewers in KC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechaMacster

Reaction score
So, I may be blasted for this here, but I've got thick skin so it's ok. I personally don't like the taste of beer. I've never been able to get into it. I started brewing my own cider though and I'm a fan! Anyone in the KC area that brews cider and would be interested in a trade and grade? Not sure if the local biermeisters do anything but beer, but would be interested if so. Any thoughts or comments?

You could definitely try the KC Biermeisters. With the size of their club they almost HAVE to have someone concentrating on ciders/meads.

I have two different ciders going right now, but I want to let them go for a little bit longer since they are both all brett. I would definitely be interested in a trade and grade. (Or even just a meet up and try each other's cider). I live in Prairie Village, so I am right next to you.

Just wanted to say hi - getting ready for my first cider batch as soon as fermenter frees up from my current brew.

Wow guys, just got my first email about posts in this thread. Sorry about that! I haven't tried brewing with Louisberg's, you'll have to let us know how it turns out. Or better yet, pass it around! I typically brew with just the cheap Old Orchard Apple Juice, then once it's fermented out I stabilize and backsweeten with concentrate. Recipe was on this site as (Dave's maybe?) Caramel Apple Cider.

To answer the previous posts, I looked into KC Biermeisters and attended their meeting on a cider day. They were an awesome group of people with a few who did cider in addition to beer, but beer was definitely the focus so I bowed out. If I ever try a competition though, I'll be asking them if I can use their name on my stuff to get them points. I highly recommend checking them out if you're a beer drinker.

And Marvaden and anyone else interested, I'm definitely down for a swap. I've got another couple weeks on my batch then I'd be ready. This cold kinda set me back. I brew in the basement and this batch has struggled. I even did a swamp cooler with aquarium heater, but the airlock has been slow. No promises this batch will be as good as normal, but you're welcome to try it!

I ended up going with Rees fruit farm out of Topeka. They sell cider with no preservatives if you buy it from them directly (if you buy in grocery stores it has preservatives) They UV pasteurize too! I'm up for a swap as well, I'll be priming next weekend (the 18th)

Hey, are we down for a get together of some sort. I just got my cider kegged. Mine is a bit on the weird side because I went with all brett fermentation.

I'm down! Mine's a bit weird as well so it's all good. Well, weak more than weird. These low temps wreaked havok on my brew temp. Mine will be ready for drinking this weekend if anyone else is down. Not sure if I'd able to host though. I'd have to check what the plans are with SWMBO.

I'm in am apartment and I really only have Friday night free this weekend. Next weekend I have Saturday free.

Well, I don't think I have anything going on either of those, but I could be wrong. I'll double check for sure, but does anyone else wanna weigh in on a time and place as well? The more the merrier! I'd say you wouldn't even necessarily need a batch of your own if you don't have one ready, it'd just be nice to meet up with other cider makers. I'll find out tonight, Marvaden what those nights look like. Maybe I could host, but I'm in a townhouse so not much better off. :)

I didn't end up priming my cider like I planned. The taste just isn't there yet. I had read multiple places that you can bottle a cider in 3 weeks. But when it came down to it, its just not ready. I read another book and it said the number one problem people have with cider is not waiting long enough. They recommended waiting at least 9 months. So I've decided to do just that, going to start tasting it again in 6 months and see where its at.

What changes over time for them? Mine are very young and I did an all brett brew, so I really don't know what the appropriate time line would be for them

What changes over time for them? Mine are very young and I did an all brett brew, so I really don't know what the appropriate time line would be for them

Well, I'm not really sure, the change is it tastes better. Not sure if thats due to just mellowing of intense flavors or secondary fermentation. Probably both.

hey guys damn i just noticed this thread. I live in Meriden ks, just north of Topeka! Has any get together plans been made...meet n greet or trade n grade etc? I currently have oaked apple/cherry that has been aging in bottles for about two months now...I been tryin' to save them to the 6 month mark, but I'll crack another open if anyone wanna try some!

I saw the next weekend post up there...that is better for me as well...pay day weekend! I probably work saturday till 11am so sat aftr noon/eve/night is best for me, no matter where it is.

Stepping it up this year!

tNMdeDT.jpg

I just pitched (11/2/14) yeast on 15 gals of Rees Fruit Farm sweet apple cider! It'll be drinkable by Xmas for sure...

And for you guys that asked about Lousiburg...if that's all ya can get, then ok ...but it won't make a pimple on Rees' ass.

I used Louisburg Cider Mill cider on my ciders. Took my carboy over and they filled it for me. Unpasteurized, good stuff. First keg is almost gone and will be filling another with a cherry cider in a couple weeks.

I did a large group buy a couple years ago from Rees Farm in Topeka. 55 Gallons. Got straight pressed apple cider, no pasteurization or anything done to it. Rex was very helpful when it came to the purchase.

Back