Ever used Wy 1728 Scottish yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germanmade84

Reaction score
My first time this past weekend taught me alot about this crazy one. First your freaked out that its no good since smack pack doesnt swell over 24 hrs. Next your freaked out it hasnt workd because 48 hrs pass in primary nothing going on. Then By hour 60 or so u have decent bubbling and krausen. Then overnight while you sleep soundly, this MONSTER arrives inside your fermentor and begins to speuw out your beer all over everything and laugh in your face because it thinks your a butthead for not thinking it was any good yeast!

Whats your story on 1728?

Only used it 1 time, on a Bourbon Oaked Porter. It was incredibly slow to start . . . almost 3 days from pitching to bubbling in the airlock and krauzen formation. But after that, it seemed to go really well. I was also concerned that we underpitched slightly (if it had been my beer, I would have made a starter, given the OG and batch size [1.08+ & 5 gallons] but it was my friend's beer, and he didn't want to use a starter). Haven't bottled the beer yet (still bulk aging), but we'll see how it turns out!

So it wasnt just a fluke with my batch. Good to know. Id like to know how that turns out. I used it for RIS.

I've got a Scottish Export 80 /- in the primary right now with 1728. Pitched 2 days ago. My experience has been completed different. Smack pack inflated nearly completely in about 5 hour. Signs of fermentation at 24 hours. Now (~40 hours in) I've got 2 inches of seemingly well-behaved krausen.

Maybe it's the fermentation temps? I've heard that this strain is very aggressive at the upper end of its temperature range, so I've been keeping it in the low 60s. What temp was yours at?

Mine fermented at the mid to high 60's, (I keep the house around 66-68 this time of year).

Note: I didn't see the huge krauzen, but I'm a big fan of FermcapS, so I don't expect it to go crazy.

I just pitched this yeast yesterday afternoon, and was already getting a bit of krausen and bubbling from the blowoff tube this morning - ~12-18 hours after pitching. Smack pack swelled within 4-6 hours or so. Haven't had any problems yet, but will see what it looks like when I get home from work! I'm assuming you used an airlock and not a blowoff hose?

Scottish
High Gravity Trappist

Out of all the strains ive used these are the only 2 that have really been problem makers. But in a good way. Problem makers that just need some extra babysitting, which i love. Thats why these 2 strains are also my favorite!

I use both of the liquid Scottish ale strains regularly (WY1728 AND WLP028), and used to see a much more vigorous fermentation when I didn't keep this fermenting in the low 60s. I think both strains are much cleaner when fermented at 60 F, produce a great deal less diacetyl, and explode a lot less.

Back