Tiny bubbles in secondary won't quit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopChef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I racked my Brewer's Best PSA IPA over to the secondary to dry hop on Oct 7 (had to free up the primary). OG of 1.066 and what I thought was the FG on the 7th of 1.012. These were well within the target ranges, and the fermentation looked like it had completely stopped. So 5 days into dry hopping the temp in my ferm room (spare bathroom donated by the SWMBO) went up to 74, and all of a sudden this layer of tiny bubbles appears on the surface of the beer in the carboy and has not stopped since, even with the temp in the room coming back down to and staying 68-70. The Imperial Blonde Ale in the primary has since started and finished its ferm, and the IPA just bubbles away. My thought was that there was yeast left in suspension and is feeding on left over sugar, but this is my first beer so what do I know. I figured RDWHAHB and let it ride, but I was hoping to get this thing bottled this weekend. Thoughts?

This is normal for a dry-hopped beer. Hidden inside the pellets are tiny bits of oxygen which lets some of your little yeasty friends wake up a little. Plus the little hop bits provide nucleation sites which the CO2 can form bubbles on. When the bubbles get big enough, they float to the top. Adding to this is your warmer temps which pushes the gas out. 1.012 is a perfect FG for that kit. Take a sample. If the flavor and aroma are where you want them - bottle it. I find that dry-hopping peaks around 5-7 days, after that it begins to drop off and can give a "grassy" flavor.

Back