Backyard Island with Grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snackson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I are in the process of buying our first house and there is an island in the middle of the backyard with a built in grill. I didn't get a good look inside underneath but I know there is plenty of room down there.

My first thought was throwing a tap tower onto this thing, running the lines down into a trash can that would be filled with ice/keg. The keg would only be out there for the time we are entertaining and then returned to the kegerator inside.

Any ideas on the best place to place it? Should I try to get a permanently installed kegerator into it?

picture-uh=75be13687df8bf5d5c732321ef762-ps=6983615e8bcfcb55dd3d73559bf847a2.jpg

picture-uh=ab37fb3029409eaa23b025534cca1-ps=4a22be4aadf5071e38649646fc1bb.jpg

Honestly, I think that's an odd place to have a large grill or keezer. Especially if you have kids.

I'd move that entire thing to the side of the patio, if possible, or even onto the patio, then continue with your awesome plans. Replace the grass and enjoy your large yard.

Being "in the process of buying a house" and actually going to title can be very different things. I don't know where you are in your process but I would personally avoid becoming attached to the place i.e. deciding what to do with the island until you actually have the keys. People can really get torn up over these things...

Nice feature though. I wouldn't personally be a big fan of the apartments having an intimate view of my backyard, but that's just me.

It's already in place there and secured to the foundation. There are two waterfall/fountains built in to the wall behind it. There is no electricity in it right now but there are outlets close by for the pumps for the waterfall. I was thinking of tapping off that line and wiring it up with some outlets. It would be a small keezer on the inside or just a jockey box type setup for parties. The kids turn one in October and we are hoping to be in the house by then and use the yard for their first birthday party.

Being "in the process of buying a house" and actually going to title can be very different things. I don't know where you are in your process but I would personally avoid becoming attached to the place i.e. deciding what to do with the island until you actually have the keys. People can really get torn up over these things...

Nice feature though. I wouldn't personally be a big fan of the apartments having an intimate view of my backyard, but that's just me.

Process is moving along nicely so far. 95% sure we will be in the house in a month-month and a half. I know that the house isn't ours yet but I am trying to get ideas for brewing and the island in the back.

That is another house behind us. The homes here in San Diego are pretty close together.

Man you are going to love your new house. I've got 3 munchkins myself and we've been in 2 houses. Two of them are in college now.

It's crazy how much of your life is wrapped up in a house. We moved into a much larger house 10 years ago, but I can't express the emotions of leaving a home that your little ones grew up in. The place was saturated with memories, our history.

I'm telling you this because a house is a home. It's not just a place to park your car and contain your shtuff. It will be an indelible part of your life, and even more your 1-yr-olds. You wouldn't normally know this until you have to leave it, so I'm telling you now in the hope that it helps you with whatever decisions you're trying to make.

snackson said:
Process is moving along nicely so far. 95% sure we will be in the house in a month-month and a half. I know that the house isn't ours yet but I am trying to get ideas for brewing and the island in the back.

That is another house behind us. The homes here in San Diego are pretty close together.
Best wishes to your home buying experience. I am probably a little jaded since I had the absolute worst loan officer on the face of the planet. Luckily the sellers really liked us so they rolled with the punches.
passedpawn said:
Man you are going to love your new house. I've got 3 munchkins myself and we've been in 2 houses. Two of them are in college now.

It's crazy how much of your life is wrapped up in a house. We moved into a much larger house 10 years ago, but I can't express the emotions of leaving a home that your little ones grew up in. The place was saturated with memories, our history.

I'm telling you this because a house is a home. It's not just a place to park your car and contain your shtuff. It will be an indelible part of your life, and even more your 1-yr-olds. You wouldn't normally know this until you have to leave it, so I'm telling you now in the hope that it helps you with whatever decisions you're trying to make.

There's got to be a Beatles song that summarizes this ;)

Best wishes to your home buying experience. I am probably a little jaded since I had the absolute worst loan officer on the face of the planet. Luckily the sellers really liked us so they rolled with the punches.

There's got to be a Beatles song that summarizes this ;)

Actually those are the words heard if you listen to #9 backwards (White Album). Good call!

How are you guys doing with this?
We closed escrow in two months and are in the house now. Lots of various projects that I have to get accomplished before I can really enjoy it though. My plan is to make a trasherator and run a portable tower up to it when we have people over.

My plan is to make a trasherator and run a portable tower up to it when we have people over.

I've thought a lot about this. I still don't know what you just said. I'm sorta worried that your guests might get trasherated though if they fall off the tower. Meh, I'm sure you know your trasherator towers. Just be careful.

passedpawn said:
I've thought a lot about this. I still don't know what you just said. I'm sorta worried that your guests might get trasherated though if they fall off the tower. Meh, I'm sure you know your trasherator towers. Just be careful.

Lol... I thought about it for awhile too, and decided he probably meant one of those trash can kegerator things. If not, then yeah, be extra careful.

snackson said:
Trasherator- Rolling trash-can kegerator that will be filled with kegs/ice. CO2 will be mounted to outside of it and beer lines insulated and ran up to a clamp on tower. Not that exact one, but a DIY tower.

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/towers-pid-DS431CL.html

Man that things pricey.. Maybe I'm not understanding it right. Are you getting something besides a single faucet tower and a drip tray for your 260 bones?

Man that things pricey.. Maybe I'm not understanding it right. Are you getting something besides a single faucet tower and a drip tray for your 260 bones?

Making one like that. I can clamp it up and tear it down later that night or the next day. I wanted to add a tower permanently but that was vetoed. I may even just build a nice trasherator with a tower on top.

I think you've got a cool opportunity in front of you.. Home ownership is great and being able to customize whatever you want makes it that mush more exciting.

Until you get your plan together on the island, try one of these portable beer dispensers.
350tp44.jpg

I've seen people use these in outdoor event situations..freeze the ice tube in the center and pour beer in! Presto.

I think you've got a cool opportunity in front of you.. Home ownership is great and being able to customize whatever you want makes it that mush more exciting.

Until you get your plan together on the island, try one of these portable beer dispensers.

I've seen people use these in outdoor event situations..freeze the ice tube in the center and pour beer in! Presto.

I used to frequent a bar while in college that served those.....they called them Urinator's.

bottlebomber said:
How much beer will that thing hold?

I'm not exactly sure but I believe a couple of standard sized pitchers. Our Buffalo Wild Wings started carrying them also.. This seems to be better for a small group instead of ordering pitcher after pitcher of slightly cold beer.

Back