Is this a sign of contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudybrew

Reaction score
Hi guys I was just transfering my APA that I mashed last saturday to secondary and the yeast looked really odd to me... It stoped fermenting on wednesday... And I just put it in the fridge at about 5 celsius. It fermented in a range of 18-21 in two buckets... Help pleaseee... Thanks...

image-4053258791.jpg

image-2063606130.jpg

image-1859616498.jpg

Looks like a mix of proteins and yeast. All of the infections I've seen form a layer on top of the beer. Did it look like something was on top?

Smells and tastes great... Thats why I couldnt think it was contamined... Just looked really odd... By secondary I meant i put both buckets into one without the yeast...

dudybrew said:
Smells and tastes great... Thats why I couldnt think it was contamined... Just looked really odd... By secondary I meant i put both buckets into one without the yeast...

You're good to go.

I had my last brew look exactly like that it was a kolsch. I used whitelabs german ale/kolsch yeast. It almost looks like cooked rice. I was thinking it was cause I fermented it fairly cold 58 degrees. Then I let rise to 67 to finish after that I dropped it down to 42 for the rest of the time. I wonder if that process had anything to do with it? Btw the beer came out great!!

bratrules said:
I had my last brew look exactly like that it was a kolsch. I used whitelabs german ale/kolsch yeast. It almost looks like cooked rice. I was thinking it was cause I fermented it fairly cold 58 degrees. Then I let rise to 67 to finish after that I dropped it down to 42 for the rest of the time. I wonder if that process had anything to do with it? Btw the beer came out great!!

WLP029 is great... my go to "house" strain.

I used a dry yeast safbrew us 05... What you guys think about it? Liquid yeast is still quite expensive in Brazil...

It's a fine yeast. I use it in almost all of my pales and ipas. Look into washing and saving yeast from your finished beer to save more money.

I used a dry yeast safbrew us 05... What you guys think about it? Liquid yeast is still quite expensive in Brazil...

Interesting! I've used US 05 a lot, and I've never seen it look like that. I'm sure it's fine, though...

it´s been quite a long time and I forgot to report back, in case anyone wondered about it... this beer came out really good... clean, crisp and bitter... just as I wanted it.

it´s been quite a long time and I forgot to report back, in case anyone wondered about it... this beer came out really good... clean, crisp and bitter... just as I wanted it.

US-05 is great. I use it for most of my American brews. As you said they all come out clean and crisp. That picture actually looked more like what S-04 tends to look like for me.

Hi guys I was just transfering my APA that I mashed last saturday to secondary and the yeast looked really odd to me... It stoped fermenting on wednesday... And I just put it in the fridge at about 5 celsius. It fermented in a range of 18-21 in two buckets... Help pleaseee... Thanks...

Brains?

Latest posts

Back