cider tastes like vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwadd

Reaction score
I just started making hard cider on the 11/5 1gal batch using musselman juice
red sterr cote des blancs yeast. hydometer 1.050 I let set for a week and the airlock seem to stop bubbling, I rack the cider on 11/10 and let it sit untill today 11/14. I checked with the hydrometer with 1.000 reading. smells yeasty and tastes vinegary. Is my cider lost?

Vinegar normally has a strong smell, if you can't smell vinegar it might be ok. if you can smell vinegar then it is too late.

From what I've heard it would take a lot longer than that to turn to vinegar, are you sure your not smelling something else, like sulphur dioxide?

Vinegar comes from bacterial contamination. If you sanitized your equipment thoroughly, contamination is unlikely unless you left quite a bit of headspace when you racked or had a few fruitflies (which carry acetero bacter).

I'd top up the cider, and wait it out. "Sour" may just be young cider, but "vinegar" won't improve.

Back