Difference between malt and grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancepowers

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been browsing this forum for a few weeks as i brewed my first ever batch, from extract. I'm about to start my second with extract + hops, and after that take the plunge into all-grain.

I've been reading through the posts and wiki here, and went to check the ingredients mentioned against my homebrew suppliers' offerings.

I'm having a little trouble with the terminology though. Does 'malt' and 'grain' refer to the same thing? For example is this product what i would use? Or does 'grain' refer to something else entirely?

Malt refers to malted grains which make up the majority of the grain bill for most beers. Grain can refer to either malted or unmalted grains, so you need to understand the context. Unmalted grains are often used in small quantities to add body, flavor, or other characteristics a beer, but do not add any significant amount of fermentables. Most of the unmalted grains used in brewing are flaked. The product you linked appears to be malted barley.

Back