93% efficency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Egad. 93% efficiency. Nuts! Target was 1.056. Ended up with 1.064. Going to have to dilute for my Czech pils will be a tad to high in alcohol. I over boiled this one a bit anyway so a slight dilution probably won't hurt it even if my water is not a bit low.

I may have over boiled a tiny bit, but only by 2 quarts tops (10g batch). So even then my efficiency is about 90%.

Fixing my grinder has done wonders. And it seems my system doesn't mind the finer grind either. I do step rests with gum and debranching rest.

Before I fixed my grinder I was getting 60%. lol. But even when I first built it I was getting 80% tops. When I fixed it I made the gap smaller than original and I have not had any problems with sparging. The husks look torn from the grain but not broken into small pieces so I should be tannin free.

Now I just need a method of swirling the wort when the chiller is in there. I'm so tempted to by a high temp food grade pump, but probably shouldn't be spending the money. (though then I could lower my burners on my brew tree to a reachable height).

Edit: A guy I met recently who happens to have a 600L (6 BBL) system in his back yard... Says the key to building grinders is that the wheels should be SMOOTH and one should spin faster than the other. In my case I'm doing that my accident since one is smaller than the other.

His wheels are huge (looked to be about 12"-14" diamter) grinders to microbreweries all around North America for couple grand.

I pulled a similar boner the other day. I entered my OG into promash and got 77% for a 10 gallon batch, but then went back to my fermentors and realized there was close to 12 gallons in there. At least the beer should still be in the neaighborhood, gravitywise. I hit 92% a few batches back and luckily that was planned out as a very malty low gravity beer to begin with!

Come to think about it, the only thing to two batches had in common was the ambitious stirring lackey....

Now I just need a method of swirling the wort when the chiller is in there. I'm so tempted to by a high temp food grade pump said:
I know this doesn't relate to the post at hand but I thought I could help with this comment. I have built a wort stirrer out of an old ice cream maker motor. It is so simple and works great. The big ice cream stir paddle is perfect for stirring and with mine it fits just inside the wort chiller. It required a little fiddling to mount it on a lid and some work to keep the stirrer on but it works great now.

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/old_chiller.htm

similar to that but with a different stirrer.

You don't happen to have a picture of your manifold, do you?

Absent that, maybe you have a ruler and can tell me the specs on your tubing? What size? How thick is each slot (on average), how many per foot of tubing? How far around?

The more I get into the specs, I say bugger. It's got to be the crush I'm getting at the LHBS.... Grrr.... I mean, it looks like a good crush to me, but.... I'm happy if I nudge 70% efficiency...

Toot said:
The more I get into the specs, I say bugger. It's got to be the crush I'm getting at the LHBS.... Grrr.... I mean, it looks like a good crush to me, but.... I'm happy if I nudge 70% efficiency...

That's why I went ahead and bought a crankandstein (which should arrive tomorrow). My eff was horrible and I kept thinking it was something I did wrong. Now I'm excited about my next brew (which might be this weekend!)

I also have a hard time with my eficiency usualy around 60% though I found out P.H. of water is to high I got some P.H. 5.2 and will find out this weekend if that solves my problem hope so if not maybe my grind I use a corona style grinder wich should be fine but I dunno:drunk:

Toot said:
You don't happen to have a picture of your manifold, do you?

Absent that, maybe you have a ruler and can tell me the specs on your tubing? What size? How thick is each slot (on average), how many per foot of tubing? How far around?

I'll snap a pick later. Just got home and have a splitting headache. on top of that my damn HDTV sat reciever just died and there's a hockey game in 2.5 hrs. I think the HD went wonky, I took it out and am trying to get it working in time for playoff hockey.

Basically its round with thin slots every 1/2 " or so around the bottom of the manifold. I used a dremal and a cutting blade for this.

Another thing that made a diferance for me was doing a 45min to 1 hour sparge. And I let some of the wort drain out before I opened up the HLT tap.

Ok so I am a new brewer, and I am planning on building an AG set-up real soon and I don't know any terms so when you say efficency, what is meant by it? Does it mean the percentage of water you are getting from start to finish when brewing AG?

Back