Single Tier Brew Stand for 5 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browjaso62

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of discussion about batch size. I fall into the 5-gallon camp because I like to brew more than I like to drink. I also like variety. There are tons of threads about people's brutus 10 builds but hardly any for 5 gallon systems. I am starting the design of a brutus of my own but want to make it a 5 gallon system. Is there any reason a single tier system will not work for 5 gallon batches? All of the premade systems I see out there are 3-tier gravity setups.

Jason

I know there is a lot of discussion about batch size. I fall into the 5-gallon camp because I like to brew more than I like to drink. I also like variety. There are tons of threads about people's brutus 10 builds but hardly any for 5 gallon systems. I am starting the design of a brutus of my own but want to make it a 5 gallon system. Is there any reason a single tier system will not work for 5 gallon batches? All of the premade systems I see out there are 3-tier gravity setups.

Jason

You can brew 5 gallon batches on a Brutus too

That is good to know. I have alot of ideas for what I want to do and was going to be bummed if there was a fundamental problem using a single tier pump system. Right now I am thinking of using 10 gallon Blichmanns so I will need to slightly modify the brutus stand setup so they will be supported properly. I was going to get 15 gallon pots so I could do 10 gallons but I don't see that happening any time soon and I think the smaller pots will work better for 5 gallon batches.

I have a brutus-like system with keggles, and it is really easy to do 5 gallon batches on it. I did 2 a week ago. You need a fairly large MLT anyhow for high-gravity beers. Boiling 7.2 gallons for a 5 gallon batch is still a decent sized boil. It's nice to be able to do 10 gallon batches if you have to brew for a party or something... or a beer you like to always have on tap.

go with 15 gal blichmanns. you can do 5 gal no prob, but if you ever wanna do more, you can. if your are gonna build a system, build 10 capacity worth. you can always do 5 gal. put your therm lower and dont burn your flame so hot. as a brewer, you will always wanna go bigger.

I have been going back and fourth between 10 and 15 gallon pots. I like the idea of being able to do a 10 gallon batch but since I primarily am going with 5's I don't want to sacrifice anything for future capacity (besides a little more $ for the pots). Will the grain bed height still be high enough in a 15 gallon pot for stable recirculation and sparging. I am worried that the mash is going to end up short and fat and more prone to being stuck.

Back