cheapest returnable bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
my friends asked me to pick them up some cheap beer and i saw this as an opportunity to collect some bottles. what are the cheapest beers in returnable bottles? preferably dark brown, good bottles. u kno the kind. any help would b great!

i dont kno if it helps but i live in tallahassee florida

You CAN cap bud light or any other twist off bottles, but some folks report it is a hit-and miss thing with the carbonation. Sam Adams makes pretty decent beer and the bottles work well for capping. It's avail. everywhere, too.

I had to pound down 4 cases of Blatz last month to get ready for Christmas. :drunk: Decent bottles and nice boxes. Not too bad if it is ice cold and consumed quickly after a few home brews.

I drank a couple cases of Moosehead this fall. Nice green bottles for my Cider.

Sam Adams are also good bottles, as are Belle's

Not too long ago in college we used to get Old Mil and Rhinelander for less than you can buy new bottles for now. :confused:

im guessing you dont have Trader Joe's in Florida. but if you do, go get some 6-packs of Fat Weasel Ale. $3.99 / 6pk of what i consider to be gooooood beer in nice brown bottles. on my 1st batch i bought about 7 6-packs and emptied them into gallon jugs, which i drank over the weekend until it was totally flat.

never heard of blatz. How is it and where can i get some? is it really that cheap?

Wheat King said:
im guessing you dont have Trader Joe's in Florida. but if you do, go get some 6-packs of Fat Weasel Ale. $3.99 / 6pk of what i consider to be gooooood beer in nice brown bottles. on my 1st batch i bought about 7 6-packs and emptied them into gallon jugs, which i drank over the weekend until it was totally flat.

Alcohol Abuse!:D

olllllo said:
Blatz usually finds you.

It also finds it's way out as quick as it finds its way in. :eek:

About 8 years ago some friends and I were "bucking up" for a keg, but were far short. (Broke college kids on a Friday) One of the guys went to the store and came back with 3 cases of warm Rinelander. We poured 3 bottles into 3 glasses with ice, and all were different colors. One looked like coors light, one a shade darker, and one was almost amber. That was the last time we bought Rinelander! From that day on we splurged on the cases of Old Mil.

The bright side of Rinelander was that you could get a case out the door for under 10 bucks, even after the 10 cent deposit and tax, and they had pop tops.

before I got the kegs and CO2 I used pacifico bottles, they are non-refundable but they worked great. I regularly got 12packs for $9 and Costco would sell cases for $15. the best part about Pacifico bottle was that the label would come right off after soaking the bottle in sanitized for a couple minuets, and i don't mean was easy to scrape off, i mean you could peal it right off in one piece. that as the biggest selling point for me, I Hate washing labels off bottles.

I could use the same bottle about 5 times.

skunked169 said:
I could use the same bottle about 5 times.

. . . Wait, is there a limit on the number of times you can usually reuse a bottle? If so, what are the factors that determine how many times you can use a bottle? I've always thought that you could keep reusing your bottles as long as you were able to hide them from your thieving friends . . .

And $3.99 for a decent beer in reusable bottles? I'm sold! I mean, $3.99 is about what you'd pay for a 6 pack of Pabst tall-boys! (come on, you all know you've done it before, nothing to be ashamed of)

Never heard of Blatz. I'll have to look it up.

skunked169 said:
... the best part about Pacifico bottle was that the label would come right off after soaking the bottle in sanitized for a couple minuets, and i don't mean was easy to scrape off, i mean you could peal it right off in one piece. that as the biggest selling point for me, I Hate washing labels off bottles.

Oxyclean takes 'em all off easy and whole, all brands. An overnight soak in hot water and oxyclean, and your bottles will be liberated from the pernicious grip of label and glue with no effort on your part.

I only got about 5 uses out of the bottle mainly because my drinking buddies road them hard and put them away wet...I'd ask them to rinse out the bottle when it was finished but it never happens all the time, and I hate washing bottles.

Thats True Beer For Breakfast, no label is a match for an over night soak, but the pacifico bottles have vary little glue so the come off like a prom dress at the sight of soapy water.

lol... IDK whats the cheapest rice water out there that you can use for home brew. I do know that Sam Adams bottles are BY FAR the best commercially available bottles to use. They have a nice tall thick head which works well with hand cappers. Bass bottles are ok, but dont work well with hand cappers... you need a bench capper to get those.

cheap beer.... didnt know it came in bottles!! :) Back in my college days I used to get Busch 30 packs for $7.99 <yuk>. ...How things change...

I only use Blatz as an example of an old school beer that MAY be available as a returnable bottle sold by the case. You'ld have to find a Beer Depot or an old man bar that has a bottle chute behind the bar. That type of place.

Pabst
Blatz
Rhinelander
Schlitz
Point
Here is the collection point at the Point Brewery in WI
3712-IMG_0002.JPG

mmm. busch, we call that up north beer :)

blatz, hah. good ol blatz.

olllllo i wish I could get some of those hardcard fliptop cases in that picture. i have two (black label, yum hah) cases that my grandma had from years ago. Those cases are awesome. i haven't seen those in forever.

I go to my liquor store and just pay the deposit on empty returnables others have returned. I get bottles for $0.05 a piece, they get the deposit money......works nicely. To the store and brewer, it's like someone bought the beer, but never returned the bottles. Make sure you look in the bottles though, sometimes if people wait too long to return them, they'll have mold in them, I refrain from those cases as they are a pain in the ass to clean.

drouillp said:
mmm. busch, we call that up north beer :)

blatz, hah. good ol blatz.

olllllo i wish I could get some of those hardcard fliptop cases in that picture. i have two (black label, yum hah) cases that my grandma had from years ago. Those cases are awesome. i haven't seen those in forever.

I have 4 storing my bottles... they are great. 2 Blatz and 2 Miller Lites.

Latest posts

Back