Suggestions on false bottom hole pattern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phreephly

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at converting a 48 quart rectangular cooler into a mash/lauter tun, so I will need to make a false bottom. I want to use stainless steel, but I don't know what the hole pattern and sizing should be.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

I too had this crazy idea. Trust me, it's not worth the effort!! Order a square of perforated stainless from onlinemetals.com. The holes are 3/32 inch on 5/32 centers, do the math and that works out to THOUSANDS of holes in a 12" diameter false bottom. I laid out all the holes on a piece of plywood and drilled 2 and said screw it. I'll be ordering a sheet here soon myself. The 12" x 12" are about $20 plus shipping, well worth the coin.

Most coolers just use a Copper/CPVC manifold. Might be easier in case you were unaware of the option.
Yeah, it depends if you are fly or batch sparging. False bottom is optimal for fly, a braid is easiest if you batch sparging. The rest fall somewhere in between.

Thanks all. I will be fly sparging and more importantly, using a heating tank and recirculating my wort, so I need to keep as much grain as possible out of the wort that I will be pumping. My plan is to use the false bottom on top of a copper manifold.

I'll draw it up and post it when i get a chance.

EuBrew, I was planning on having a machine shop drill the holes, but your solution is even better, thanks!

Back