Yeast washing question . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
I do not have a larger jar to decant in to to start as suggested from the sticky. Can I just go straight into the smaller jars?

I don't see why not. You'll have a little more non-yeast sediment in it, that's all.

If you have enough, you could use a number of smaller jars instead of a big jar for the first step, then decant from those jars into other small jars for the second step.

I don't see why not. You'll have a little more non-yeast sediment in it, that's all.

If you have enough, you could use a number of smaller jars instead of a big jar for the first step, then decant from those jars into other small jars for the second step.

This is what I did. Kind of a pain in the ass.

I use a half-gallon growler as the larger jar. Great excuse to go get a growler of something tasty. :D

A friend of mine drinks Carlo Rossi in 4 liter gugs so he saves them for me and they work great for washing yeast and someone in my homebrew club said they work great to use for growlers to carry homebrew in. just my 2 cents.

Yeah, if you've got someone else to drink the Carlo Rossi for you, all the better. :)

I picked up one of those iced tea jars with a spigot at the bottom. Works great to decant off the liquid from above the layer of goo. $3 at wally world.

Back