Getting the Scortch out of a Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
I have a kettle that I ran a little too hot and have a layer of black carbon on the bottom. Any good ideas on getting it off?!?!?

Thanks

bkf_sm.jpg

Yea I can't exactly, reach into it. It has a 3inch tri-clamp as the opening. Is there a no scrubbing option :)

Is it on the inside? Were you brewing with LME? I burned a couple of kettle bottoms from not turning the flame off before adding the LME, so I started turning the heat off and adding it before it came to a boil - it would mix in fine as long as the wort is warm. With AG, I haven't burned the bottom yet - not sure if it's possible.

I'd say to get it off, hot water, pbw or oxi-clean and a stainless steel scrub pad. And some elbow grease.

PBW + stainless steel pad

You really should not use stainless steel scrubbing pads to clean stainless, it can promote corrosion. The green nylon ones are recommended.

Is there a no scrubbing option :)

I have found that a fairly concentrated solution of hot PBW works very well at taking of burnt residue without any scrubbing. I had a pot that I was making a starter in burn (forgot about it), overnight with PBW took it off without me having to do anything.

You really should not use stainless steel scrubbing pads to clean stainless, it can promote corrosion. The green nylon ones are recommended.

I have found that a fairly concentrated solution of hot PBW works very well at taking of burnt residue without any scrubbing. I had a pot that I was making a starter in burn (forgot about it), overnight with PBW took it off without me having to do anything.

really? oops.... i guess i better stop using mine then. thanks for the info.

I just cleaned the hard to scrub off gunk on the inside and outside of my pot a couple days ago. A 50/50 solution of muriatic acid and water does the trick in seconds. Just be sure to wear gloves! And it will discolor stainless, so i wouldn't recommend it unless you've tried everything else first.

white vinegar diluted with water. I think about a 50/50 mix warm/hot water. Let soak for a few minutes, scrub w/green scrubby and you should be good.

There is a point at which temperature will burn everything off and turn it to ash. Think self cleaning oven cycle 900F or so. Can't advise you on duration or temps but it is a thought. FYI most stainless does not start to melt until 2500F so you have some room to heat it up.

Never done this with steel so don't know if any dangers are lurking. I have heated pizza stones to 900F + to clean them up.

Yea I can't exactly, reach into it. It has a 3inch tri-clamp as the opening. Is there a no scrubbing option :)

Your "kettle" has 3 inch opening?

Sounds like near boiling water and oxyclean would work. Thats how I clean my stainless coffee carafe when nothing else would get the coffee sludge off.

Back