High ABV beers in Alabama!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Reaction score
Minutes ago the Free the Hops legislation passed the Alabama state senate! This bill raises the maximum ABV of beers sold in the state from 6% to 13.9%. This bill previously passed the house and now goes to the Governor for signing. There is a chance that it will be vetoed, and tomorrow is last day the senate will meet until next year, so we aren't out of the woods yet. However, if the Governor receives enough encouragement, we may be (legally) drinking imperial stouts and IIPAs at the Magic City Brew Fest!

JB

I wouldn't hold my breath. I've been knowing the Governor for most of my life and, I'd say the chances he's going to veto it are better than average. Plus this late in the game he doesn't even have to stick his neck out to veto it, just let it sit on his desk and ignore it till the senate goes home. I really hope I'm wrong, but I would bet on a pocket veto. But I'll happily be wrong and eat my crow - I'll wash it down with one of those IIPAs at Magic City Brewfest - lol

The Governor has already indicated his willingness to sign HB373 into law if it hits his desk. I would encourage everyone in Alabama that cars about personal freedom, our economy, and of course gourmet beers (read: High ABV) to head to:

Free The Hops | Alabamians For Specialty Beer

Please read the post explaining what we need to do TONIGHT, and then follow the link in it and email the Governor. My fiance and I have already done so, we're getting our friends and family to do so, and I hope anyone else on here in Alabama will follow suit. Let's take this time to put forth a tiny bit of effort to make this final push for the betterment of our state.

I can't even get on the website!! it must be getting hammered by everyone!

I was just checking to see if it passed, and when I couldn't get on the site, I came here for my usual browsing

To all my AL brewing kin....this is sweet, sweet victory. To finally get past the senate and onto Riley's desk is a win in itself. A lot of blood, sweat and tear went into this project over the years (of course you know that already) and I don't know about you guys, but I cracked a few cold ones to the news.....right after I contacted Riley's office. Receptionist didn't even have to ask what I was calling for, I just told her the bill and she took my info and hung up. He's getting plenty of calls on this.

I sent the govna' an email and sent a mass email to friends urging them to email or call the governor. Free the Hops and your mind will follow.

Not to distract from the good news, but is there a group for AL home brewers?

On the FTH web site there is a Homebrewing forum. Depending on where in Alabama you live there are local groups. FTH is not pushing homebrew legalization and it is probably not until the container law is changed that they would take up the fight. I believe John Little in Auburn is taking up the cause.

johnlittle.com

Auburn Brew Club

Good luck guys!

I hope beyond anything y'all succeed. Utah's already voted aye this year, let's hope for AL to fall too. Then the last bastion of low ABV will be MS.

How heavily is the Brewers Association involved in this? If they aren't, one of you guys should e-mail Paul Gatza and have him use his H.R. hookups to give the old Alabama gov a call--for encouragement.

I called the office of Gov Riley to voice my support.
I have also sent an email to Samuel Adams asking them to help out if they can, they should have some lobbyist. I called the Alabama Senators in Washington to ask them to call Governor Riley. I will will also be calling any other elected official or person of influence to ask for their help. If this gets signed today we can have craft brew on the shelves by this weekend in Alabama.

I called the office of Gov Riley to voice my support.
I have also sent an email to Samuel Adams asking them to help out if they can, they should have some lobbyist. I called the Alabama Senators in Washington to ask them to call Governor Riley. I will will also be calling any other elected official or person of influence to ask for their help. If this gets signed today we can have craft brew on the shelves by this weekend in Alabama.

I've never wished I lived in B'ham so much as I do now. I know there is at least 1 distributor who's already filled up the warehouse with higher ABV beers just waiting on the word. Up here in Huntsvegas it will probably take week/months to see them on the shelves. I should start demanding them now to get the vendors to put them on the shelves sooner. I might have to make an impromptu trip to the Ham this weekend if all goes to plan.

I'm keeping an eye on the FTH blog. I thought he was supposed to sign it Friday or today. He has 9 days to sign it once it his desk for it to pass.

According to what they said on the FTH blog, Gov. Riley has to sign it by May 25 or it's automatically vetoed. At least in Huntsville we'll be able to drink it at the Nook. Also, once this thing is signed, Great Spirits may be willing to put in some orders if they get specific requests.

I really hope he signs it, but guys I don't think he's going to. I been knowing the man for 30 years since I was a little boy, went to school and church with his kids, etc... He's not going to sign anything that remotely resembles "sin" -- alcohol or beer, a state lottery, anything like that - just not going to happen. Especially when all he's gotta do is ignore it for another week. I sure would like to be wrong, and I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I don't think I am. I bet the bill is sitting on his desk in Montgomery and he's already home in Ashland.

I really hope he signs it, but guys I don't think he's going to. I been knowing the man for 30 years since I was a little boy, went to school and church with his kids, etc... He's not going to sign anything that remotely resembles "sin" -- alcohol or beer, a state lottery, anything like that - just not going to happen. Especially when all he's gotta do is ignore it for another week. I sure would like to be wrong, and I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I don't think I am. I bet the bill is sitting on his desk in Montgomery and he's already home in Ashland.

Well, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this is another case where you're wrong. His office has been getting bombarded with calls/faxes/emails so I seriously doubt he's going to ignore this one.

Next up on the table is the legalization of homebrewing. Sometimes I really hate living in a state that's stuck in the 19th century.

Don't forget he has already signed the wine bill. Not signing this one would be hypocritical. I like Riley. Hell, I voted for him. But this bill is only going to help our economy. The "Think of the children" argument is moot here. Kids that drink are drinking for effect. They're not going to pay top dollar for a 6'er of premium beer. They're going to stick with that $12 case of Natty Ice.

you're preaching to the choir man - you don't have to sell me

I hope I'm wrong

I'm going to call his wife and kids and tell them to make sure he signs it - lol

Back