Black stuff in the fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flykilbosa

Reaction score
I brewed a Red Ale and used my conical for the first time. I just kegged the beer and I'm cleaning the conical. There's the normal ring of crap I'd see in a carboy but this time there's a black color to it. Any idea what it is? Contaminated?

image-970175617.jpg

It looks like a crappy weld in the picture. Seriously, don't worry unless the beer starts going bad. That would have to be a serious infection to show that much that early in the process.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but how did the beer turn out? I just kegged an amber from my conical for the first time and saw the same looking black crud in the ring. Also did the black crud return on other batches?

JacksSpleen said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread but how did the beer turn out? I just kegged an amber from my conical for the first time and saw the same looking black crud in the ring. Also did the black crud return on other batches?

It turned out fine!! Haha I always worry when I see new things. The first 3 batches I saw the black crap, it was less each time, then on the 4th batch it was gone. It must have something to do with the stainless steel?

Hey what kind of conical do you have?

Sweet good to know.

I got a 14.5 gal stout tank. I really like it, but the black crap kind of freaked me out too. I cleaned it first with bar keepers friend and sanitized with star sans. I was kind of worried about the welds on the stout tank. I mean they look really good but who knows. Is yours the blichmann? cause those are weldless right?

I also just pulled the first glass of amber and it seems fine too.

Yea I have the Blichmann...as others say it doesnt make the beer any better than using a carboy or bucket, BUT it saves me a boat load of time, I can monitor fermentation a lot easier, harvesting yeast is simple, and it looks badass!! Hahaha

Yeah I agree!

I thought dumping the trub was pretty sweet, pulling a sample to test gravity was a piece of and cake not to mention Co2 transfers. Very happy with it so far.

I don't "need" half the stuff I have but all the bling makes people think I know what I'm doing :)

Thanks again for info on the black crud. I wont worry about it.

It was could have been oil on the SS. Did you wash it down with soap and rinse well before the intial use.

Back