Priming sugar HELP !!!! Part 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
Much thanks the links to the calculators are all very helpful. I do in fact have a second question that I need help with. How can I know how much finished product I will have to bottle before I add the priming sugar ? In other words if the sugar solution needs to be in the bucket before you rack the beer how can you know the final amount ? Is there a way to rack the beer to the bottling bucket before you add the sugar and still be sure to make sure the sugar is completely dissolved in ALL the beer ?

Brewing is an art, not an exact science. You have your beer in a container we would call a fermenter. You should know roughly how much it can hold and how much you really have in there, an estimate. If you are off by half a gallon it won't be a big problem, you just add the amount of priming sugar required for the amount you think you have and then you mark your fermenter with something to indicate just how much it will hold at various locations, like one mark per gallon before you brew again.

You should dissolve the priming sugar (weighed, not measured) in about a pint of boiling water. I usually start the racking of the beer before I pour the sugar solution in as I seem to get better mixing that way. When the beer is all racked into the bottling bucket use a sanitized spoon (as long a one as you have) to gently stir (so you don't mix in oxygen into the beer) the beer and sugar mixture.

A good trick is to take a gallon jug, fill it, and pour it into your empty fermenter. Then, take a sharpie and mark that level. Repeat several times.

Now, you have a really good idea as to about how much beer you have. You'll lose a half gallon or so to trub, depending, but you can eyeball that and get a good idea.

Mix your priming sugar based off of the guesstimated amount of beer. If you're alittle over or under, odds are that you will never notice.

I took that one step further HBD. I took a 2C measure & a SunnyD gallon jug,measuring off exact quarts with a black sharpie. Guess I'm a little like Doc Brown at heart.:cross:

Back