Secondary fermenter myth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodyswoodchuck

Reaction score
So after talking with some local professional brewers, all of whom used to be/still are home brewers, told me that there is actually no real benefit to home brewers to using a secondary fermenter. Does anyone have any info to the contrary?

Woodyswoodchuck said:
So after talking with some local professional brewers, all of whom used to be/still are home brewers, told me that there is actually no real benefit to home brewers to using a secondary fermenter. Does anyone have any info to the contrary?

First off, in the true sense of the term it is really a secondary vessel or bright tank. Meaning there shod be no further fermentation occurring. It is used for oaking, racking fruit clearing the beer or dry hopping( although many do this in the primary as well)

There are countless threads on this forum discussing pros and cons to using one and a very simple search will yield you days of reading material if not a life time:)

Secondary fermentation is a process that actually creates a second round of fermentation such as priming your bottles. The suspended yeast consumes the priming sugar producing CO 2 and carbonating the bottles. This is an example of secondary fermentation.

No, I don't think most homebrewers would argue that a "secondary" would be necessary. I haven't used one in years, except when oaking.

Woodyswoodchuck said:

Almost every home brewing book that i have read says that it helps the flavor and clarity to use a secondary. Brewer's best kits all recommend it. It's up to you, if you're happy with your results, that's all that counts.

No, I don't think most homebrewers would argue that a "secondary" would be necessary. I haven't used one in years, except when oaking.

+1. a secondary wastes a good primary. also, like is said previously in this thread, there's years of reading on this argument in this forum alone

The yeast will fall out whether the beer is still in the primary or racked over to secondary, it's not like they know their in a secondary so it's time to settle out. I rarely secondary because it's generally not needed, but when I do it is a little easier to rack off of 1/4" of trub than a 1/2" or more.

Back