Pear Cider Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blankq

Reaction score
I am making a blackberry pear cider. At first I thought I'd just juice the blackberries with the pears and ferment it all together but I've been reading a bunch of different ways and am not sure what the best is. I'd appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Also I am wondering when the best time would be to stop fermentation so I don't have to back sweeten.

It would help if you had a specific goal in mind. Sweet or dry? Still or sparkling? Kegging or bottling? Pear with blackberry or blackberry with pear? Made from fresh juice, clear store juice, or concentrate?

I am trying to get a dry pear cider with a not too dominant blackberry flavor. I will be kegging. I;d like to use whole blackberries.

I would reccomend putting crushed whole berries in when you secondary. That will give you a nice berry flavor without overpowering. As for stopping early it really depends on how sweet you want it. I stop between 1.016 and 1.01 depending on the cider. BUt some people find that way too sweet.

Back