effects of adding O2 8 hrs after pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TayWhyte

Reaction score
I woke up this morning (8 hours after pitching) and realized that I forgot to aerate my wort! (I had to hold off on pitching for a few hours after brewing) I put my O2 stone in this morning and got about 30 sec of O2 in before it wanted to bubble over, and put the blow off tube back on.
I know in the first few hours of lag that the yeast take up all of the O2 and that adding some later can a myriad of problems ( I'm hoping not since the yeast hadn't taken any in yet).
OK enough rambling- can anyone put my mind at ease and say it will be alright?
Is the lack of O2 in the wort for 8 hours after pitching going to hurt?
Other than the lag in Aeration time I pitched the correct amount of yeast for a 1.054OG and everything else was great.

Thoughts, comments.

Thanks

I think adding it 8 hours later is more dangerous than not doing it at all.....

Pretty sure you are fine, i beleive it is recomended to aerate a second time within the first 12 hours or so on really high gravity brews so i cant see why 8 hours into a normal gravity brew would hurt, the yeast are still very likely in the reproductive phase.

Thanks for the replies.
I think that not aerating at all will definitely end up in a poor fermentation. So I feel that it was the lesser of two evils (if at all) and I added anyway.
I'm just curious as if there are any biochemists out there ;) that can tell me if what the side effects might be to aerating that late.
Activity started very quickly (2 hours) after adding my O2.
I'm just hoping that there aren't any attenuation or flavor problems.

Latest posts

Back