Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty psyched that the grain is coming so soon. I thought there would be a longer wait. :)

I'm wondering about the possibility of picking up the grain on Sunday the 19th. It doesn't appear that the pickup site has hours on Sunday.

As luck would have it, I had booked a night in Armory Square with my fiancee for that weekend. Empire Brewery, Blue Tusk, etc. :mug: So we'll be there.

If it's not possible, I'll make a separate trip around that time. Maybe after work one day or earlier in the day that Saturday. ...But obviously, two trips to Syracuse would be a drag.

WHAT TO BRING FOR PICK UP:

OK here is a little more info that I think you all will be happy to hear:

1. no need to bring bags to pickup for your splits. We are going to have everything prepackaged by your handle name on site.

2.no need to bring a scale with you

3. Bring some way to ID yourself. As long as you can ID yourself you will be able to grab your bags.

In order to facilitate the process so it does not interfere with business activities we will be buying some cheap 13 gallon unscented garbage bags and dividing up the splits for everyone ahead of time. Yes you are very freakin' welcome!

A small fee will be charged to everyone for the cost of the garbage bags if you participated in splits.

That is awesome!

I've confirmed with 2 buyers in Buffalo (snooky and abrew2u) that I'll be picking theirs up as well. I've got room for perhaps 1 more person here on this end of the state (4-5 bags or so) if anyone in Western New York is interested.

-Weston

CidahMastah said:
3. Bring some way to ID yourself. As long as you can ID yourself you will be able to grab your bags.

What if someone else is picking up the order for us?

Bag drop out:

Here is the current list of bags to drop if we have too much size or weight due to the chemicals. Please let me know if you prefer dropping another type of one of your bags in place of what is listed below. Otherwise I will simply go by what is listed, in that order.

Last bags for drop out:
CidahMastah added 1 bag - BD-MOPA (Bag 166)
copyright1997 added 1 bag - BZ-VIEN (Bag 165)
Jbsengineer added 3 bags - BZ-PILS, CM-2ROW, TF-MOPA (Bags 162, 163, 164)
Hoptopia added 2 bags of CM-2ROW (Bags 160, 161)

166 bags * (54#/sack) * (1 batch / 13#) * (5 gallons/batch) * (10.667 twelve ounce bottles / gallon) = 36,776 beers on the wall.

Assumptions:
1. Some sacks 55#, some 50#. 54# being a wild ass guess.
2. On average a 13# grain bill. Maybe low (IIPA), maybe high (mild)

166 bags * (54#/sack) * (1 batch / 13#) * (5 gallons/batch) * (10.667 twelve ounce bottles / gallon) = 36,776 beers on the wall.

Assumptions:
1. Some sacks 55#, some 50#. 54# being a wild ass guess.
2. On average a 13# grain bill. Maybe low (IIPA), maybe high (mild)

161 bags, 4 are chemicals and 1 is rice hulls.

So 35,669 beers on the wall!

WHAT TO BRING FOR PICK UP:

OK here is a little more info that I think you all will be happy to hear:

1. no need to bring bags to pickup for your splits. We are going to have everything prepackaged by your handle name on site.

2.no need to bring a scale with you

In order to facilitate the process so it does not interfere with business activities we will be buying some cheap 13 gallon unscented garbage bags and dividing up the splits for everyone ahead of time. Yes you are very freakin' welcome!

A small fee will be charged to everyone for the cost of the garbage bags if you participated in splits.

This is great you guys are awesome thanks again for making this happen and helping us all out!

cidah, did you happen to recieve my check?

Joe yes I did. I marked it on post #2

Waorgany - did a mock up of my front panel tonight with wood. Well started it. found out I was 3mm too close to that turn key with my original measurement. Going to cut out PIDs tomorrow and put them in to see how they fit.

As I'm still in Seattle, I will be having a family member or friend pick up my order. How do you want them to identify themselves?

Pickups on Sunday probably won't work unless somebody moves your stuff off site first. I hope to organize everything when it first comes in to make it easier to work in different pickup times but ideally I'd like to have as many pickups coordinated on the first Saturday after the shipment so that I can hopefully be in the building then.

The site is my parents' business and they're pretty flexible with us but I would like to have as little impact as possible on them so that I don't feel bad asking to do this again when you grain junkies fill another 4 pallet order in a month or so!

Once we have the shipment in, we can coordinate the remaining details.

As for IDs, I'm thinking we might be able to just send anyone who can't make a coordinated time a unique code they can use to identify their order.

CBK said:
Anyone from the Rochester area picking up grain. I have a Ford Ranger which can fit 1 other person and all your grain. Willing to share driving expenses. Let me know if there is any interest.

Depending on when you're going, I could come with since I'm also in Rochester.

Or if our schedules don't line up, I'll pitch in for tolls/gas if you can grab my stuff.

By the way, thanks for pre-weighing and bagging the grain, Cidah.

Joe yes I did. I marked it on post #2

Waorgany - did a mock up of my front panel tonight with wood. Well started it. found out I was 3mm too close to that turn key with my original measurement. Going to cut out PIDs tomorrow and put them in to see how they fit.

I mocked up mine yesterday with cardboard check out my build thread...Think I got it figured out, how are you cutting the PID's out in the box?

Depending on when you're going, I could come with since I'm also in Rochester.

Or if our schedules don't line up, I'll pitch in for tolls/gas if you can grab my stuff.

By the way, thanks for pre-weighing and bagging the grain, Cidah.

Sounds good. Once the pick up times are set we can work something out.

As for IDs, I'm thinking we might be able to just send anyone who can't make a coordinated time a unique code they can use to identify their order.

this is a good idea. Maybe we can generate a unique number and PM everyone it. We can keep an excel sheet at pick up and match people up to it. Is that what you were going for?

As I'm still in Seattle, I will be having a family member or friend pick up my order. How do you want them to identify themselves?

I think if you maybe PM twogunz who they are, or maybe as he is suggesting above. Idea being, if you have a unique number to match up with your pick up, some dude casually reading our thread can't walk in and make off with someone's grain on the sneek. I would hope this wouldn't ever happen, but with this many people it wouldn't hurt us to be on top of it.

I mocked up mine yesterday with cardboard check out my build thread...Think I got it figured out, how are you cutting the PID's out in the box?

I am 99% sure I will use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. I used that to cut my din rail as practice and it worked really well, easy to control. If I can't get into the corners of the square I will bust out my jigsaw with a fine toothed metal blade

I'm in support of the "PIN" number concept. I would hate to see a jbsengineer imposter make off with $800 of my grain!

If we use a PIN then people can probably have more flexibility on pick up-- it'd have to be during business hours though. I'll work out some of the details when it comes in and try to make it work for everyone.

If we use a PIN then people can probably have more flexibility on pick up-- it'd have to be during business hours though. I'll work out some of the details when it comes in and try to make it work for everyone.

I think this goes without saying, but...

I do want to emphasize. Once the grain is in, if you can make it that Saturday (2/18) during the pickup time, please do so.

If you need an exception to the rule that is ok too. But the more we clear on Saturday the easier on twogunz and his parents business. I would rather have the folks picking up being a little inconvenienced versus twogunz or his family's business.

The easier on the business, the more likely we will have the opportunity to have grain delivered there again at some point.

so when will we know our final pricing for delivary and all that good stuff?

Plan on being able to pick up grain on location Sat 2/18

As for final pricing I will post it as soon as I hear back (likely today or tomorrow). Our order request has been submitted through our buyer.

I am 99% sure I will use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. I used that to cut my din rail as practice and it worked really well, easy to control. If I can't get into the corners of the square I will bust out my jigsaw with a fine toothed metal blade

use the jigsaw, you will have overrun with a cutoff wheel leaving visible cuts if there is no face plate. the jigsaw will leave much cleaner corners.

use the jigsaw, you will have overrun with a cutoff wheel leaving visible cuts if there is no face plate. the jigsaw will leave much cleaner corners.

only problem with a jigsaw is that the hole is so small (45x45mm). I would have to drill 4 holes and then connect the holes and clean up the corners. There is a faceplate but it isn't huge. I was just thinking of filing after cutting if needed. Or buzzing the burrs off with the dremel

only problem with a jigsaw is that the hole is so small (45x45mm). I would have to drill 4 holes and then connect the holes and clean up the corners. There is a faceplate but it isn't huge. I was just thinking of filing after cutting if needed. Or buzzing the burrs off with the dremel

Let us know how you make out with the dremel. I am planning on the jigsaw with 4 holes. I have a drillpress which should help my process.

Back