• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Simcoe Wet Hops by the Pound Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so 22 dollars for what will turn out to be under 4 ounces of dry hops? sellers market. i need to plant some of these

I completely agree, but when you can't find them at all...at least they're available somewhere.

You can't get Simcoe rhizomes. They are a proprietary Hop.

Oh, that's interesting. So are these *always* in short supply, or is it just this year? (This is my first year brewing). And are these really that distinct that you need to use them, or or there other similar varieties?

Again, being a new brewer with very (very) little experience with different hops, I don't think I could identify specific types in a beer. But then, I guess with practice. :off:

Brew one beer with Simcoe and then the same beer with a substitution and you'll know the difference Simcoe makes. It's an amazing hops.

And are these really that distinct that you need to use them, or or there other similar varieties?

As a couple others mentioned... yup... they're that distinct. See if you can find Mikkeller Single Hop Simcoe. Then you'll know why simcoe is distinct.

so 22 dollars for what will turn out to be under 4 ounces of dry hops? sellers market.

Most people wouldn't bother drying them and make a wet hop beer. And FWIW that's about the same price shipped Rebel Brewer was offering for their pre-order wet hops last month.

Just received mine in the mail!
ESB_015.jpg

ESB_016.jpg

:D

I just picked up a pound and a half of wet Simcoe, and I plan on making a Belgian IPA with them. Can't wait, I've never had Simcoe before!

Back