Blow-Off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefanatic

Reaction score
Are they any changes to the brewing process that will occur as a result of using a blow-off tube VS an airlock? I am currently brewing an chocolate oatmeal milk stout in a bucket. A good friend of mine brewed the same recipe recently and he came home to a huge mess. To avoid this I used a blow off tube. When I woke up the morning after I brewed I was getting a lot of bubbles. (I know bubbles ot the lack thereof are not idicative of the fermentation process failing/succeeding in anyway) That night when I got home from work,there was no activity whatsoever. I held a light up to my bucket and I could see Krausen in the bucket. It was about 4 inches above the brew, so obviously fermentation was occurring. I was just curious if there was anything I/We (Newbs) should or shouldn't expect when using a blow-off tube. I personally used dry yeast for the first time with this recipe, so that could also add to my situation. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The blow off tube is primarily for the initial fermentation stage to blow of excess co2 &/or krausen. The only effect it will have on your batch is in keeping most of it in the pale. And less on everything else. It's just a way to get rid of excessive amounts of gas or krausen that an airlock is ill-equipped to handle.

Sounds like your blowoff worked properly; at this point you are probably safe to just put an airlock on your bucket--but you don't have to if you don't want to.

As far as how your fermentation is progressing...a gravity reading is the only way to be sure. I'm certain you're fine--now just plan to leave that big stout in the primary for a month!

Are they any changes to the brewing process that will occur as a result of using a blow-off tube VS an airlock?

Not really. A blow-off tube is really just a really long airlock with extra room for all the foam and krauesen that you don't want on your floor. If you've still got krauesen, your fermentation is proceeding and you're golden. ;)

It's very possible that most of the fermentation is complete, especially if you fermented in a warm environment.

That seems to be the one thing we explain a lot in regard to bubbling/no bubbles anymore. Initial fermentation where a blow off is often needed. And the slow,uneventful long haul down to FG. We all live & learn here in our own time. RDWHAHB. We should be cracking a few in a couple more hours.

That seems to be the one thing we explain a lot in regard to bubbling/no bubbles anymore. Initial fermentation where a blow off is often needed. And the slow,uneventful long haul down to FG. We all live & learn here in our own time. RDWHAHB. We should be cracking a few in a couple more hours.

Absolutely. I personally am not concerned with this brew. Whats the worst case scenario in this situation? I re-pitch? I just couldn't find a thread that actually explained the differences in the process (if any) when using a blow off tube.

Thanks for all the great answers. When you're new to a process, it is always a little scary to change things up a little bit. Especially when you are just getting comfortable with the initial process. I know that personally, I was told by the salesman where I bought my kit that bubbles= fermentation, and the adverse. Fortunately I joined this forum before I worried myself when there were no bubbles.

Each fermentation is different. It sounds like yours is doing fine. Sit back, relax and let the yeasty beasties do their job. You will make beer.

Check the gravity in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile get another fermenter and brew another batch.

I just think new brewers need to get used to the fact that initial fermentation is the bubble like mad mode(usually). But some,like my 1st,didn't bubble at all,& came out pretty good. The rest is just finishing primary fermentation,that is pretty boring. It may look like nothing is going on. But in reality,it's quietly chugging down to FG. It knows what to do.

Back