Blanche De Chambly - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMckeever

Reaction score
Just finished brewing this one... Here is the recipe.

Add the following after reaching boil with 2.5 gallons of water

6# Wheat Extract
8 oz. clear candi sugar

add

1 oz Hersbrucker at 60 minutes
.25 oz Bitter Orange Peel after 45 min boil
.25 oz Coriander after 45 min boil

OG should be approximately 1.053

Pitched Wyeast Belgian Wit 3944

SG should be approximately 1.010

I also added the 1% alcohal boost to mine. My OG was 1.09

I'm going to be brewing that same kit from AHS... ehh... in a week or two. I make a lot of belgian wit without the candi sugar. This is basically your standard kit plus a bag of white candi. It'll be interesting to me to see how much the flavor changes with the addition of the candi... if its good i'll start adding it to all my wit batches! I use WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast for my batches, which take a 1.045 brew down to ~1.016 after a week in primary, and 7-10 days in secondary.

What is that "alcohol boost" they try selling? Is it just more DME or something? IMHO, kinda silly if the kit that you are brewing already contains the correct amount of alcohol for the style of beer. Once you take a belgian wit and make it 6-7% alcohol, its not really a belgian wit anymore... its lost that easy to drink quality.

This one turned out really good. It doesn't taste much like the clone its supposed to be, but still turned out to very good tasting.

I racked it to secondary a couple days ago. I'm flying to FL for a week so I'm gonna toss it on a keg tonight and prime it up. I still gotta kick a couple other kegs, but both my recent unibroue clones will be aged and tapped soon!! :)

Its basically a Belgian Wit... with some Candi in it. If I like it more than my regular wit batches, i'll start getting kits and putting in a pound of rocks...

heh heh... I just kegged that over the weekend. Its green as heck right now and has a pretty sharp alcohol bite. It definitely needs some time to let the flavors mingle...

Latest posts

Back