The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they have covered the Mexico goal many times now and say it was offsides. I missed the reason but it must have been the correct call.

^^^ when the goalie went out for the ball technically he was the last defender in front of the net, so when the ball got passed to the mexican he was in an offsides position. doesnt matter if its the goalie or a forward, at least one defender has to be in front of you when the ball is played. offsides has nothing to do with the goalie, the last defender is what the rule is about.

Anyone up for homebrews tomorrow for the U.S. v England. game? Post pic online, it'll be like were really together. Maybe Orfy will join us to cheer for the the Brits.

^^^ when the goalie went out for the ball technically he was the last defender in front of the net, so when the ball got passed to the mexican he was in an offsides position. doesnt matter if its the goalie or a forward, at least one defender has to be in front of you when the ball is played. offsides has nothing to do with the goalie, the last defender is what the rule is about.

Yep. Offsides is determined by the second last defender or the ball, whichever is closest to the endline. Ordinarily, the keeper is the last man back so the second last defender is the last field player.

The refs got it right. The announcer, however, didn't have a clue.

Speaking of refs, the first two games were generally well-officiated. Except for the handling of the send-off of the uruguayan player. His second caution should have been a straight red. It seems like splitting hairs, but he almost split that Frenchman's leg right in front of the bench.

Studs up into the side of the leg when the ball is long gone = red card. That player should have been sent off for serious foul play - which sometimes gets slapped with harsher penalties than a sendoff for a second caution. Depending on the league.

So, you candy-assed, limey bastiges...

Do you really think you have a chance? Have the lads been partying/fighting/cheating with/on their wives/girlfriends/hookers again? Or will you find some other reason to underachieve yet again?

Whatever the outcome, this tournament will soon be over, and America can get on with playing American rugby and their own version of rounders. (I haven't played rounders since I was in primary school!) You like baseball? You're welcome. ;)

Just watched the replay (thanks) and it was definatley a legitimate goal.

Ive changed my mind. The linesman was right. The player is standing off-side when the ball is headed on. No goal. The defender on the line is in-active so he doesn`t count.
Its took me about 20 replays to see this and the linesman got it right in a split second. Well done lino.

Speaking of refs, the first two games were generally well-officiated. Except for the handling of the send-off of the uruguayan player. His second caution should have been a straight red. It seems like splitting hairs, but he almost split that Frenchman's leg right in front of the bench.

Studs up into the side of the leg when the ball is long gone = red card. That player should have been sent off for serious foul play - which sometimes gets slapped with harsher penalties than a sendoff for a second caution. Depending on the league.

2 yellow cards = 2 match ban
Straight red card = 3 match ban

Unless its Graham Poll officiating....(anyone ???)

The jargon used to be "Interfering with play" But as Brian Clough famously said, "If's he's not interfering with play, then why is he on the f*cking pitch!?" ;)

Haha that's a really funny quote and I used to feel the same way about the ruling. However, having been a keeper for so long and actually having my arse saved a couple times by that exact ruling, I can say that it is a legit call. The keeper coming out of the box for the ball makes him the last man involved in play, considering the defender in the goal has 100% no chance of touching that shot.

Did anybody watch the match yesterday? I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I felt like my heart was going to explode out my chest throughout the entire second half... so much adrenaline from stressing the outcome. I felt like I had a workout... how can any Americans say this sport is boring?

As for Green's blunder... dude, that extra sucks. I was a keeper for a long time and I know how gut-wrenching it can be to let in an easy goal... but he had to do it in front of BILLIONS.

And say what you will about the freebee, I feel the USA still performed well against a relentless England attack. Both sides had many opportunities to put the ball in the back of the net and really the final results came down to the keepers; M.O.T.M Tim Howard was damn-near flawless and, despite the goal, Green was great and made a fantastic save from a wicked Altidore shot in the second half.

As for the other Group C game, Slovenia won with a gift goal let in by a sloppy save-attempt... but just like with our game, it's a goal nonetheless. Congratulations to them for being on top of Group C right now but I hope to see both USA and England with 4 points at the end of next week.

EDIT: Just read this article, pretty good and a bit funny. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story/_/id/5281354/ce/us/us-chances?cc=5901&ver=us

I wouldn't say that both sides had many opportunities, Reno - I thought England (gags while saying it) deserved the win. After Gerrard's goal, I had a horrible feeling it was going to turn into a hammering, especially when Onyewu was standing around scratching his arse when it went in.

Credit to the States though, they got back into it, and could have nicked it with Altidore's chance (read my earlier post about him as a forward, shocked he tried to go near post from that angle, would have been better served cutting a little inside and shooting across). England crapped the bed though, stupid personnel decisions (Milner - someone who's never started a competitive international, playing while sick with a virus; Ledley King playing with one usable leg; and throwing Green in there "just to confuse people" when James is their usual number one), Heskey fluffing a wide open goal (he's blaming the ball!!)... that group just got REALLY tight, especially with Slovenia winning. Now both England and the USA will certainly HAVE to beat Slovenia to get out of that group.

Germans looked terrifying today. And not very German-like, too. Some excellent passing, fantastic in possession, pretty football, and an absolute menace coming forward. Some of the younger lads they have in their squad are real gems.

The French are still cheating scumbags.

Germans looked terrifying today. And not very German-like, too. Some excellent passing, fantastic in possession, pretty football, and an absolute menace coming forward. Some of the younger lads they have in their squad are real gems.

Yes, they looked pretty good. Against Australia. Let's see how they fare againt a stronger side.

The French are still cheating scumbags.

Did you see Henry bitching for a handball in the box? Ugh. It wasn't a handball, but anyone knows about not getting a much-deserved handball called, it would be him. Or Maradona.

Seriously. They put the hurt on. Best looking team so far, I think. (Emphasizing the "so far," though).

And even though they didn't get a "real" goal, I was still impressed with the US - for, oh, 65 minutes out of 90, they actually looked like a team that knew what it was doing. We'll have to see what happens in the next few games - if the US views this last game as a good starting point from which to move forward, they may be ok. If they view it as accomplishment enough, they're screwed.

Go Japan!

Did you see Henry bitching for a handball in the box? Ugh. It wasn't a handball, but anyone knows about not getting a much-deserved handball called, it would be him. Or Maradona.

to have the audacity to ***** like that when the only reason your team is their is because youre a cheating bastard is pretty damn funny. i really hope mexico and uruguay get out of that group and send those froggys home.

i still cant believe cahill got that straight red. absolutely horrible officiating. not like it would have affected the game, but tim is a big part of that aussie offense and its gonna hurt when they are playing ghana.

An Irish Bar here in SF (O'Neills by AT&T/Giants ballpark) is giving away free beer every time a team scores against France.
They received tons of publicity about it; probably was packed.
Of course, the first France game was 0-0.

So according to my calculations...USA has to win out to NOT play Germany right?

If what everybody expects to happen in Group D comes true, then yes USA needs to be the points leader in Group C in order to not play Germany. However, I don't see any reason why Ghana can't beat Germany. I remember them being surprisingly good four years ago (yeah, can't forget that one... Ghana kept USA from advancing) and I can only assume they've improved since. We'll just have to see.

Wow, I try to watch soccer but...

imagessoccer.jpg

Wow, I try to watch soccer but...

I can understand the frustration if you are a fan of American football. You get to see 30-60 points scored within the whole 11-12 minutes of actual play (Play is defined as the bits between the ads and the ass scratching while everyone figures out where they want to restart)

You just need to understand the immense importance of a goal, if and when it is scored against the importance of simply getting the ball to the other end. ;)

Thought: if the low scoreline is a problem, maybe we should play without keepers! England would LOVE that idea! :D

Whoa now...don't go bashing good ole Football.

I like soccer...but then again I truly believe the best Football games are when defenses shut down offenses...a good 6:3 game makes me giddy.

#1 Goal is to see the Superbowl live
#2 See a ManU home game

See some Americans can go both ways =D

It wasn't my fault, he MADE me do it! ;)

Haha.. and I'm not a big American football fan either, so we kinda agree on that as well.

I think you have to know enough about what you are watching to understand the nuances and why some of the athletes are doing amazing things. If all you know is the stated purpose is to score goals, and if that's all you look for, it's going to be boring. I enjoy watching tennis, golf and fishing, which most people will akin to watching paint dry. I've done those things and can really get into the skill and excitement of the participants.

I'm an Ohio guy too, born and raised in North Ridgeville.

However, I don't see any reason why Ghana can't beat Germany. I remember them being surprisingly good four years ago (yeah, can't forget that one... Ghana kept USA from advancing) and I can only assume they've improved since. We'll just have to see.

ghana has decent enough players like muntari and the boatengs, but essien is hurt and thats where most of their goals come from. the only reason they got full points out of that serb game is from a weak penalty call near the end. other then that the serbs were right there the entire game even when they went down to 10. how germany got through qualifying and their play in the first game i doubt that anyone is going to stand in their way in that group. i would be really surprised if ghana does hang with ze germans.

Woo hoo! NZ's got our first points on the board, EVER! Ok, so it was a draw, but hey, it's the best we've ever done. With national population only a few 100k more than LA city, and a sporting culture dominated by a game for real men, that's a pretty good showing I reckon! Woo hoo!

So for anyone who saw the first goal today in the Brazil-North Korea game - do you think Maicon meant to go near post?

The announcers seemed to have some doubt. Personally, I think he saw the keeper cheat off the near post and punished him for it. Opinions?

^^^^ i dont know, even if the keep was cheating a little bit it wasnt that much space to work with. if he meant to shoot that then it was one hell of a shot. maicon has made some incredible goals in his life so its possible and he put a lot of heat on it for it to be a cross. ill give it to him.

that north korean goal was pretty alright. nice deep pass and a nice headed ball to the feet of the attacker. lucio was playing some lax defense but still that was a decent attack. that was actually a pretty fun game to watch.

I caught the end of it. Did the Swiss play that tough or was Spain off-kilter?

I only saw the 2nd half, but I'd say it was a little of both. Spain seemed to start off the 2nd half composed and on the attack, but they just couldn't put anything together. There was a brief period where shots were raining down on the Spanish goalie (though none went in), and I think they started to get a little desperate towards the end of the match.

Back