What size brew pot should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrobertson

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and want to know what size brewpot to get. I will be kegging the beer each time. I have an electric stovetop.
Thanks!
Matt

10 or 15 gallon if you will ever get a hurricane burner and boil outside, but either pot won't boil indoors on an electric stovetop as they are too big. 8 gallon or 5 gallon if you are going to try to boil on a stovetop, 5 will boil, but 8 might not depending on your stove and the surface area of the pot.

If you can afford it get at least a 15 gallon. You will be able to do 10 gallon batches with it.

An 8-10 gallon is good for doing 5 gallon all grain batches.

Extract on the stove can be done in 4-5 gallon. I would go with this size if you use stove top.

I just did my first batch on my electric stove top and use a 5 gallon pot. I boiled a little over 3 gallons to make my wort. Also, it took about 40 minutes to reach a boil.

I did a lot of extract and PM batches on my stovetop with a 3.5 gallon pot when starting out. Bigger is better, but if you go much bigger than 5 gallons you probably won't be able to get a decent uncovered boil on an electric.

Personally, I would start out with a 4 gallon. Most of your boils are going to b 2.5-3 gallons when you start out anyway. It's an inexpensive way to start brewing in case you decide later you don't have the time to do it anymore. You can always go bigger later, and you will find that no matter how much you try to plan in advance, you will likely find your initial brewing equipment isn't your dream equipment at some point down the road. A lot of these guys will tell you to buy as big as you can afford, but I see you are brewing on an electric stove top, and you will be lucky to get more than 4 gallons boiling with that kind of power. Besides, you don't have to throw out your 4 gallon pot just because you get a bigger one. You will be surprised to find how much liquid needs to be heated during the brewing process.

I'd get a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot. They're only about $50 or 75ish with a burner. I can do a full 6.5 gallon boil if I just make sure to let the hot break happen before I add the first hops.

electric stove is pushing alot to boil 5gal full boil batch

5gal pot for extract partial boil
7-8gal for full boil (probably want a heatstick to go with it)

7-5gal for a full boil on a propane fryer
13-15gal for a 10gal batch (Keggles kick butt)

Back