How is all grain cheaper when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snevey

Reaction score
It's going to cost me about $25 for grain (12.5 pounds at $2.00/lb) and I can get 7 lbs of Muntons bulk LME for $24? Am I missing something here? Is $2.00/lb a bad price? I'm sorry to ask all these questions lately, but I REALLY want to go all-grain soon, as it's hard to call opening a can of LME and saying that's my beer. It's like opening a can of Campbells soup, making it, and calling it my soup because I made it...:D

I buy 55 lbs of Maris Otter for $40. That enough base grain for at least 5 average brews. Comes out to about 72 cents a lb. I can get American 2- row even cheaper. For specialty grains I keep 5-10 lbs of various ones on hand and pay average of $1.50/lb .... averages out to be much cheaper in the long run.

I just found that. Thanks for pointing this out. I did two simple searches and this wasn't one of the threads that was returned to me. But at the bottom, the site shows similar threads. I found that to answer some of my questions. I can't believe that my LHBS charges $2.00 a pound. Free milling though. :cool: I'll have to check into bigger size packages, such as 10 lb bags or something similar...

... yeah, it seems the normal search button has been out of commission since the software upgrade or whatever a couple weeks ago. I hope that gets fixed in the future - hard for me to search old posts as well, now it seems to use google?

I just found that. Thanks for pointing this out. I did two simple searches and this wasn't one of the threads that was returned to me. But at the bottom, the site shows similar threads. I found that to answer some of my questions. I can't believe that my LHBS charges $2.00 a pound. Free milling though. :cool: I'll have to check into bigger size packages, such as 10 lb bags or something similar...

Damn dude you are getting robbed.... my LHBS charges 1.35/lb for MO and I get a 10% discount on top of that for a brew club membership. Free milling included. Would be much cheaper if I bought in 50lb bags.

I pay $1.25 a Lb at my LHBS.... Free milling and since I pretty much serve myself I get 10% off as well.

When I buy my 50 Lb bags of base malt I get help, but I get a bag for about $40. I mill it all up at once while I'm there. I brew pretty much every Saturday so I'm never real concerned about it going bad.

Grain prices have been dropping. Marris Otter for about $50 for a bag. Great Western Pale Ale, which I use as a base grain has dropped to $30+ for 50lbs. Or you can buy by the pound for $.82/lb.

It's going to cost me about $25 for grain (12.5 pounds at $2.00/lb) and I can get 7 lbs of Muntons bulk LME for $24? Am I missing something here? Is $2.00/lb a bad price? I'm sorry to ask all these questions lately, but I REALLY want to go all-grain soon, as it's hard to call opening a can of LME and saying that's my beer. It's like opening a can of Campbells soup, making it, and calling it my soup because I made it...:D

That is a terrible price.....check this out

All grain is much cheaper. You shoudl be able to get 10 pounds of base grains that will give you a 1.050 OG 5 gallon batch for about $12. That is about half the price of an extract brew.

Here is what you do:

Hops = www.hopsdirect.com
grains = www.brewmasterswarehouse.com Ed even gives us a discount...his grind is dead on and they do a great job.

yeast = who cares? Culture it from rogue, chimay..etc..etc...notty is $1.40.
water = mighty affordable

following my own advice I can brew 5 gallons of 1.050 30 IBU cascade pale ale for less than $15. Not to shabby.

my LHBS charges 4/lbs. i dont even step in the place. $5 for a ounce of hops. who seriously buys from there. order all my stuff online

It looks like you have some really bad grain prices. In any case, if you want to go all grain for a cost savings, I recommend sticking with extract brewing. I love the mad scientist part of AG brewing but I have not saved a $1 over good craft brewed beer. I've got over $1000 in equipment, I'm making a RIMS tube with plans for a single tier stand that will cost over $2000.

In short, I recommend you go to AG because your want to take over all of your brewing, not just to save money.;)

You're getting ripped off plain and simple.

:mad:

Get an account with http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/ and http://www.hopsdirect.com/

Although my LHBS sells grain from $1.33 per pound, I'd still like to start buying bulk. I looked into it and it's the shipping prices that are making it cost prohibitive. Northern Brewer sells a 50 lb bag of 2 row for $35, but shipping is also $35. Are there any of you in the Dallas area buying bulk grain and getting it shipped for a decent price? If so I'd love to know where you're buying it from so I can get in on it.

I buy 55 lbs of Maris Otter for $40. That enough base grain for at least 5 average brews. Comes out to about 72 cents a lb. I can get American 2- row even cheaper. For specialty grains I keep 5-10 lbs of various ones on hand and pay average of $1.50/lb .... averages out to be much cheaper in the long run.

Who is your source for the Maris Otter? The cheapest I have found is my LHBS and they charge more than that for American 2 row. I am looking to make a bulk purchase and any help pointing me in a better direction would be appreciated.

where? any place online to get grain cheap. My one and only LHBS costs $70 for 50lb minimum...

I'm continually amazed at the argument that bulk hops make all-grain brewing cheaper. Last time I made an extract beer, I put some hops in it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

You gotta either buy from a distributor that will sell retail (like Country Malt Group) or get in on a group buy to get below $1 per lb for grain. Then you need a mill so there is some overhead required to start buying in bulk.

For group buys, look for a home brew club that is not sponsored by a homebrew shop, they will probably do them. If not you can try organizing one yourself. Generally need to be able to order a pallet at a time and then have someone who can receive the shipment (ie someone who can accept it at work and has a dock at work preferably).

ETA: If you don't have a dock you can just have like 2-3 buddies show up when the truck arrives and unload it all by hand and get a nice workout, basically to keep it cheap you need to avoid needing a truck with a lift gate.

I pay 1.09 a lb for MO which isn't too bad I suppose. There isnt any competition around to drive prices down but Im not getting ripped either. Bulk grain + bulk hops keep prices low.

I brew my house pale for $43.85. But that is 21 gallons worth

I'm continually amazed at the argument that bulk hops make all-grain brewing cheaper. Last time I made an extract beer, I put some hops in it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Maybe it's the same people who think you can't make good beer with extract. If so, I think I know how they got that opinion... :D

Latest posts

Back