How bad have I messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
I may have really screwed the pooch here, but I welcome any words of advice anyone has to offer:

I brewed two batches of beer on 28 Oct. An Oktoberfest and a Honey porter, both extract w/grain kits from Midwest. The Porter went into my conical and into the coolest corner of my house which - due to the winter months and the need to keep the new baby warm - fluxuated between 68 & 72 for the entire month since it was put in. The Oktoberfest went immediately into my lagerator set at 52 where it's been the entire time. I had intended to bottle the porter and transfer the Oktoberfest to a secondary over two weeks ago, but a biz trip plus Thanksgiving with the family has prevented me from doing so and due to a wedding this weekend (out of town), I may not get to it until the weekend of the 10th.

I've never left a beer in the fermenter this long and wonder what I can expect if anyone knows. My biggest concern about the porter is simply the length of time it's been in the conical. I've been draining the trub at least once a week and am no longer getting the really think stuff. My concern with the Oktoberfest - apart from the fact that I never saw any airlock activity due to a bad grommet (or stuck fermentation) - is that it'll taste nasty from sitting in the primary for so long. OF COURSE, I will prime, bottle, keg, condition and taste before I even consider throwing it out.

Anyway, that's my crappy story. If anyone knows how long a honey porter will "keep" in a conical or how long an Oktoberfest can simmer in the primary before going nasty, please let me know. I'll let everyone know how this comes out in a month or so when I sample these.

Focus

30 days at 52 degrees for your O-fest is no problem. (or course a stuck fermentation would be a problem!) Yeast is not likely to begin breaking down that fast, especially at lower temperatures where it will be active much longer before going dormant anyway.

Even at relative room temperature in a bucket fermenter I wouldn't worry about your porter either. The fact that it's been in a conical and you've been pulling trub is just insurance.

RDWHAHB! :mug:

It'll be great.

You should look forward to drinking it.

Of all the people on here who thought they had a problem I can only recall 2 who had to dump the brew!

Beer is great stuff. It is very tolerant.

Lets face it, the monks made great stuff and they had none of the modern gear or shared experience and knowledge!:mug:

Your beer will be fine, but likely your conical is ruined - send me your address and I'll send you money for shipping.......

Skol!

Focus said:
RDWHAHB! - Roger, WILCO.

we will just have to see how great it ends up being dispite my best efforts!

Now that's a great sig line.... "Brewing great beer since 1993, despite my best efforts"

SBN said:
Your beer will be fine, but likely your conical is ruined - send me your address and I'll send you money for shipping.......

Skol!

Thanks for offering to take it off my hands; I was worried I'd be stuck with a ruined conical!

Focus
"I may have been born at night... just not last night!"

Back