my 2 year old convinced me to get tap locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
My 2 year old son decided to pull one of the taps of my just kegged IPA. I think it scared him because he turned it off himself and I only lost about a pint :(.

So I bought 2 of the Perlick tap locks ($39 each).

Anyone have any experience with them? They are made by Perlick so I'm sure the quality is great.

I am sure they will work great. I would have just unscrewed the tap handles, less leverage for the little guy or put an eye hook on the top of the handle with a small bunge cord or rubber band.

I use them and they are great. To me it's a small piece of insurance to keep any one from helping them selves. Especially during a cook out and I'm out back. I don't have to open and close my kegerator every time I want to have or give a beer. It also helps keep the kids safe at cook outs.

Good call.

I've been concerned that my cats are going to get on top of the kegerator and push against the tap handles. Not a problem so far, because the handles are below the top, but once I put longer custom tap handles on, I think I'm going to disconnect the QDs.

I'd probably start pulling the QD's off the bev post before I dropped 80 bucks.

Though that will save him money now, what about in about 12-14 years? Those locks will still be useable then. And, by then when he'll need them most, they'll probably be $120. It may not be his kids wanting to sneak a beer or two or three, but the kids friends.

I've been concerned that my cats are going to get on top of the kegerator and push against the tap handles. Not a problem so far, because the handles are below the top, but once I put longer custom tap handles on, I think I'm going to disconnect the QDs.

Solution? Lose the cat. :D

Though that will save him money now, what about in about 12-14 years? Those locks will still be useable then. And, by then when he'll need them most, they'll probably be $120. It may not be his kids wanting to sneak a beer or two or three, but the kids friends.

That why I got mine!! I have a teenage son which I believe would never touch my taps or would his friends BUT it does keep them honest. Lets face it, it's a no brainier to a teenager to simply reconnect the qd's then disconnect when done. If any thing it does what a lock does, keep honest people honest and me from having to fiddle with qd's and remembering do disconnect them EVERY TIME.

I don't have to worry about this yet... Thank God I don't have kids... But yea every once in a while I wish that I did have locks because my friends have no mercy when the kegerator is there ... I offer them a beer, but about 2 beers in no body asks any more... Oh well ... Thats what its there for I guess

This is what worked for me, not quite as pricey as the perlick tap locks. High tech tap locks:

IMG_3929.JPG

IMG_3925.JPG

That's strange. Most cats don't really like beer. Now dogs I could see. :)

That why I got mine!! I have a teenage son which I believe would never touch my taps or would his friends BUT it does keep them honest. Lets face it, it's a no brainier to a teenager to simply reconnect the qd's then disconnect when done. If any thing it does what a lock does, keep honest people honest and me from having to fiddle with qd's and remembering do disconnect them EVERY TIME.

Would you expect any less of them?

My 2-year old points at my taps and tells my wife: "Daddy says 'NO TOUCHING!'" That will hopefully suffice until he's 12 or 13. Then, military school will keep him honest. ;)

I've been concerned that my cats are going to get on top of the kegerator and push against the tap handles. .
Had it happen. Damn, roommates cat back in December. Lost about a gallon I think of the best Irish stout I have ever made:(

Back