Bleach stain On a counter top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
It appears that I managed to put a bleach stain on SWMBO's new counter top while brewing over the weekend.

Since I don't want to die in my sleep, I have to figure out how to fix it.

Any advice?

:(

Ouch! It was nice knowing ya bro.....

I honestly can't think of a thing to get a bleach stain up. In fact I am thinking it literally bleached the color of the formica. So with that being said there is no turning back.

Now just for shiggles I would grab a Magic Eraser..... They seem to work miracles for me in the past.

Good luck & sleep with one eye open....lol

Looking on the net, this seems to be a common problem. Due to the EPA, formica is crap now.

This is a "granite design" counter top. I wonder if I can dye or stain the spot, to make it blend in?

I have also seen mention of using WD-40 to resurface the formica.

One way or another, I get the feeling all my brewing will be moving outside now.

My bet is your SWMBO is getting a new counter top for xmas? I'm betting it bleached the color out so resurfacing wont change the color much if at all.

See, the problem with bleach is that you're not making a stain so much as you are removing the "stain" that's already on the surface.

The good news is that burners go on sale after Thanksgiving, so you should be able to get a deal on one after you replace the countertop.

11 posts and nobody's bitching about using bleach in the first place? Well done, HBT.

The counter top is less than a month old.

I am sooooooo dead.

can I have your brewing stuff? j/k

nothing will fix the top. I once burned the counter top so I sanded down the area real well primed with a cement adhesion promoter and tiled the area with some nice expensive tiles and a border using thin set mortar mix. Worked great and was nice for putting hot pots and pans on. If you are handy give it a go its cheaper than replacing the whole counter

Solution: Buy DMC Delorean. Hit 88 mph. Convince yourself a few weeks before this happens to switch to star san.

While your current self may still be in trouble you'll have created an alternate time line where the problem doesn't exist. Somehow things work out better.

I am sooooooo dead.

Yep, Dead. Ever think of a brewery name? I think something involving your SWMBO killing you is fitting.

SWMBO damn near killed me when she saw the scorch marks on our stovetop the first brew I did. Luckly it was because I was too lazy to clean the stove first. A good scrub did our stove good.

How big of a spot is it?

Perhaps you could play dumb. It works for me all the time.

I tried that. Didn't work.

I have done some research. It appears Rit dye will stain counter tops.

Since the pattern (granite look) can still be seen, I am hoping light brown dye might save my nads.

Since this counter top was just done, there are some scraps laying in the garage. I'm going to try to replicate the bleach mark and give dying it back a shot.

I'm guessing she would notice if you bleached the whole surface. :eek:

How big is the stain? Perhaps you could cover it with a towel and then put the fermenter etc on top. It might buy you some time.

Setup another "accident" so that she causes another spill of bleach onto the surface. If it looks like her fault you can be forgiving, understanding and generous. ;)

Check your insurance. Perhaps you are covered. Two options here. You might be able to get the surface replaced. Secondly make sure that SWMBO can't collect on your life insurance if she kills you. :confused:

I hope your ok with me stealing this quote:

I am hoping light brown dye might save my nads.

Thank you in advance

What do you want Spock's Ears?

I hope a little brown dye will save Spock's Ears. That's just wrong. And besides you got lovely nads.

WHY is it that anytime somebody quotes me for a sig line, it's a testicle reference?

(Really)

That is actually a good thing. As you read the forums in the future, you can be reminded of the ones you USED to have!
Drink a lot of coffee daily. The caffeine will disrupt your ability to sleep well and may just give you enough time to jump up before the "slice"..... Mr. Bobbit!

I am sooooooo dead.

Check this one out. My wife left for a week long vacation last Friday morning. Within an hour of dropping her off at the airport and folks are at my door delivering our new stove with a great 24K BTU Super Burner.

I was brewing within another hour.

Cut to a couple hours later and I have black dots scorched onto the cooktop of the new stove that will not come up no matter what I did. Magic Eraser, Green Scrubbie thinky with Oxyclean, you name it.

It actually took me a couple days to get them removed but I felt the same way as you.

The bleach mark will NOT come up. I do like the idea of putting tile on in place of, to set hot pots on.

Probably the best thing to do is to fess up. Your lady will appreciate the fact that you were honest. If you try to hide the accident, she will resent that you are trying to keep something from her.

She WILL find out, no matter what, and you WILL pay for it. The only question is how much, and for how long.

If something like this happened to me I'd be honest and then let her help decide how you are going to fix it. It's better than being cut off for a few weeks, or her hating your hobby even more.

Update:

I played dumb, but accepted blame (I honestly don't know how bleach got on that particular spot, nothing bleached was sitting there).

The spot is not totally white, the "granite" pattern is visible. I put liquid shoe polish on the spot, and it makes it harder to see.

I have a scrap piece of the counter to play with. A little work with bleach to replicate the "stain" (what is the opposite of "stain"?), then I will try watered down Rit dye.

I may get out of this alive after all. However, I am not even going to TRY brewing in the kitchen anymore.

:eek:

Well, if you prefer to brew elsewhere, then more power to you. If you really should be brewing in the kitchen, then I suggest you avoid bleach. There are alternatives that may prove to be less damaging to the counter top.

Back