hoppy kit beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewpunk

Reaction score
Any advice. .I live in the UK n I make beer from kits and I love really hoppy beers in the taste and aroma like for instance I love sierra Nevada torpedo. .beautiful. .and I'd appreciate any advice on how to get my 23 litre kits hoppy in a big way...cheers everyone. .

Without knowing the recipe of the kit you are working from it's hard to give you specific advice. If you post that you will get better answers. Maybe a better way to go, though, is to pick a recipe for the kind of beer you want - lots in the recipe database here including lots of American style IPA's. Do you have a LHBS or online store you can order ingredients from separately?

Hiya chickypad. ..yeah we got quite a few online store's. It's just that I love really hoppy beers. In fact to me the hoppier the better..lol.I love ipas. .so let's say for example I'm doin a coopers ipa what hop would you use in a 23 litre brew n how much.. I've heard a cascade would be good...cheers. .gav

Well I would personally not do a Coopers kit but instead either get a good IPA kit from a reputable shop or do one of the recipes from the database. For example, below are 2 of Yooper's clone recipes that I know are good and she includes an extract version for each:

stone ruination

dogfish head 60 minute

If you need help with instructions or advice for altering recipes based on what ingredients you have locally we can help with that.

chickypad said:
Well I would personally not do a Coopers kit but instead either get a good IPA kit from a reputable shop or do one of the recipes from the database. For example, below are 2 of Yooper's clone recipes that I know are good and she includes an extract version for each:

stone ruination

dogfish head 60 minute

If you need help with instructions or advice for altering recipes based on what ingredients you have locally we can help with that.

I've done the DFH 60 before and i'll be brewing it again this summer. I have also brewed the Coopers IPA and did really enjoy it. Needs some hops though. Not just kit and kilo!!

With the Cooper's IPA kit,you could use some plain DME in the partial boil,& add 1.5oz each of,say,cascade,amarillo,& centennial for example. Add them at 25 minutes,15 & 10 minutes left in the boil for example. Ferment till FG is reached,& after it settles out clear or slightly misty,dry hop 7 days with the remaining half ounce of each flavor hop you used. That'd give a decent hoppy session IPA of a more American style.

Here is a Youtube instruction video of improving a Coopers IPA Pre-hopped kit by adding steeping grains and hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
i will be doing the Coopers IPA this weekend likely.

1 Coopers Can
500gr Dextrose
500gr DME
.5 Citra 30 min
.5 Cascade 30 min
.5 Citra 10 min
.5 Cascade 10 min
.5 Citra 0 min
.5 Cascade 0 min
Coopers yeast

I've used Cascade before in a hop tea and i turned out pretty tasty.

i will be doing the Coopers IPA this weekend likely.

1 Coopers Can
500gr Dextrose
500gr DME
.5 Citra 30 min
.5 Cascade 30 min
.5 Citra 10 min
.5 Cascade 10 min
.5 Citra 0 min
.5 Cascade 0 min
Coopers yeast

I've used Cascade before in a hop tea and i turned out pretty tasty.

Just use the DME in a partial boil for the 30 minutes it'll take to do all hop additions. Add the Cooper's can & dextrose at flame out while it's still boiling hot. Since pasteurization happens about 162F,you can then cover it & steep a couple minutes to do the job. Then chill kettle in an ice bath in the kitchen sink to about 75F. Strain into fermenter & top off with rifridgerated COLD water to recipe volume. Stir roughly 5 minutes to mix chilled wort & top off well. Take hydrometer sample & pitch yeast & seal'er up.

Just use the DME in a partial boil for the 30 minutes it'll take to do all hop additions. Add the Cooper's can & dextrose at flame out while it's still boiling hot. Since pasteurization happens about 162F,you can then cover it & steep a couple minutes to do the job. Then chill kettle in an ice bath in the kitchen sink to about 75F. Strain into fermenter & top off with rifridgerated COLD water to recipe volume. Stir roughly 5 minutes to mix chilled wort & top off well. Take hydrometer sample & pitch yeast & seal'er up.

yep that's what i do. turn's out nice and it's a quick brew!!

If you like imperial IPA's, check this recipe out!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/hop-juice-imperial-ipa-24919/

I changed the hops to my taste and used two ounces of citra for dry hopping vs the one once in the picture.
IMAG0223_BURST002_zps0010672e.jpg

Back