Give up now or keep going (mid-brewday question)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
I'm an idiot..... Or just someone prone to making simple mistakes.....

Either way, I'm mid-brewday and I'm making three gallons of stout to mix with cider to make a graff (Newest Brewing TV episode). I'm doing a stove top BIAB and after 30 minutes into the mash I turned on the heat and stirred for a bit to keep temp up as I usually do. Only though this time I left it on and came back 20 minutes later and it was up to 190*. So I guess it was higher than it should be for at least ten minutes.

I removed the grain and am going on with the boil for now but should I continue? For a Graff you mix the two gallons of wort with three gallons of cider I picked up from the store and ferment both together at the same time so I'm not sure if I should continue. Any thoughts???

30 minutes into a mash you probably had nearly complete sugar conversion already before you even kicked the heat up. Call it an extra warm mash-out and keep going.

30 minutes into a mash you probably had nearly complete sugar conversion already before you even kicked the heat up. Call it an extra warm mash-out and keep going.

Well, I went ahead with it just because I had everything on hand. My efficiency was actually spot on which was nice, I'm just worried about tannin extraction with an extended period above 175* with the grains still in the wort.

I did the Gunsliger's Graff. Upped the gravity a tad on the Stout though and wound up somewhere around 1.060 overall.

inhousebrew said:
I did the Gunsliger's Graff. Upped the gravity a tad on the Stout though and wound up somewhere around 1.060 overall.

Nice, I ask because that was actually my Graff in the episode, I got my recipe from captain greencoat on here and messed with it a little. One thing to keep in mind is that it will be a bit hoppy for a while. I brewed that batch on 10/2 and they filmed them tasting it on Sunday. Do those bottles were almost a year old, this is great fresh and only gets better with age.

Lol, that's awesome! Good to know though. What would you say is the minimum amount of time you would age those before drinking them?

Lol, that's awesome! Good to know though. What would you say is the minimum amount of time you would age those before drinking them?

We probably drank 75% of them in the first 2 months. I am a big fan of american style stouts that are aggressively hopped. This isn't ridiculous when it comes to the hops, but there are plenty there early on and its really really good. Having said that, I really wish we would have saved more to age than we did. Around 6-8 months this really comes together. Flavors meld and mix just right and its really something awesome. So my suggestion is to save half of what you make to age, and start drinking the rest early, if you find you aren't crazy about it when its young then just stash the rest. It was hard to keep my hands off of it though.

Back