1st All-Grain Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Thanks to this form, where the best brewers come, my first AG was a success.

I just started the 60 minute boil, but my mash temps were only 1 degree off
(147 instead of 148) and my estimated pre-boil gravity was one point high at 1.055. Can't wait to try the outcome of this IPA.

Thanks for all the help!

You mashed an IPA at 148? How long did you mash for? You are going to get a very dry, fairly thin beer from that which might be exactly what you are looking for. Typically 148 is reserved for pilsers. Awesome job on hitting your mark though, keep up the good work and try to get consistency next.

I mashed for an hour. This is the same recipe I have been doing partial mashes with just scaled to AG now. I have always mashed at 148-149. With the yeast I use it typically finishes at 1.015 which is perfect. I wouldn't imagine it would change from PM to AG would it?

good job on your first AG. I've never mashed at 148. I mashed at 149 once, but to each his own. i hope you like it. get involved in some group buys if you can. you can grains and hops at a huge discount

good luck

daveooph131 said:
I mashed for an hour. This is the same recipe I have been doing partial mashes with just scaled to AG now. I have always mashed at 148-149. With the yeast I use it typically finishes at 1.015 which is perfect. I wouldn't imagine it would change from PM to AG would it?

when you were doing partial mashes, you were using extract which has a certain degree of fermentability, often 75% or something. By doing AG you can control this arbitrary fermentability percentage. By mashing low you bring out more simple sugars and less complex. Therefore more sugar for the yeastie beasties and less in the final beer. So yes this will be dryer than your traditional mini mashes. But that's the beauty of AG, you can hhave more control on where your beer finises.

Yes, gstrawn is correct. Basically you can mash between 148-158, the lower the temp the drier the beer, the warmer the temp the more mouth feel. I would expect this to finish around 10 or below which will create a dry, crisp, IPA which if that is what you are going for you hit it. I would try to mash at 154 for the next time and see how different the beer is. It's a great experiment.

Back